Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about my lights

Posted by tastefullyjulie zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 13:28

I have 2 - 48in shop lights attached to my plant stands with seedlings directly under them. In one of the shop lights the bulbs are Sylvania wide spectrum grolux. In the other are GE wide spectrum plant and aquarium. The Sylvania bulbs are new this year (the whole shop light is new) and they are very bright. The GE bulbs seem dim in comparison. They are the same bulbs that I used 2 years ago, although last year they were not used so they were used a total of 4-5 months.

Sorry, for being so long winded. My question is, are the GE bulbs much dimmer because they were already used? Or is it the type of bulb, or could it possibly be the shop light itself? Should I get new bulbs?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about my lights

Sorry,
Forgot to mention that both types of bulbs indicate that they are 40watt.

o

Both bulbs should appear roughly the same brightness to the naked eye, but this can be deceptive because they both produce a lot of light at wavelengths that the eye isn't very sensitive to. Small differences in peoples eyes can make the bulbs look different.

I still think the bulb really is dimmer. It might be old, but four/five months use shouldn't make it so much dimmer that you really note the difference. Maybe 20% dimmer.

The ballast might be different. Different ballast specs can make a significant difference to the brightness on the same 40W tube. Have you tried swapping the tubes into the other light?

o

I think it is the ballast because the dimmer one makes a slight hum and the brighter one does not. The plants don't seem to mind so far but I wonder about when they get bigger. I will probably rotate which plants get the better light so that it's fair - lol

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here