Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much do LED lights cost?

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 13:32

Just curious how much an LED light setup would cost that puts out as much light as a two tube four foot fluorescent shop light that one could buy for $10 plus $5 for the bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much do LED lights cost?

Californian,

I'm going to link a thread started by a well known pepper grower, he uses a $300 LED product which he claims is good for 4ft x 4ft coverage for vegetative growth, but if you want pods then it's only good for 2ft x 2ft coverage. He grows plants to sell btw, so i don't think he could afford to waste his time on something that didn't work...in my humble opinion anyway.

4ft x 4ft is pretty good coverage to get seedlings up to a marketable size imho.

He claims he uses the "Illuminator UFO 5-Band Tri-Spectrum": http://www.amazon.com/Illuminator-5-Band-Tri-Spectrum-Grow-Light/dp/B001J9SYW2

Here's the thread where he discusses it: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19960-ajs-february-2011/

(you'll need to copy and paste those links to another browser window obviously)

o

Too much. Not worth ever geting a LED in the next 5 years.

o

Not worth getting? Proper ones are so efficient that I use them exclusively in my own home for tobacco, peppers, tomatoes, tendergreen bush beans, herbs, and much much more. Payoff time? A year and a half.

But I have the advantage of being a researcher with a lot of access to a lot of information.

o

Good call MasterG, don't waste your money on a commercial light for at least 5 years. But DO spend your money on LED's and build your own - they are worth the expense and trouble.

o

I use a 120 panel costing around $300 as well. I also combine it with T5 HO's which as this time seems to be a good combination. I have had many successes, however I have also had some failures usually due to water or pest issues, not light problems. It does take some getting used to though, especially controlling the amount of light falling on a plant. Young plants definitely don't like to be too close.

o

That depends on what kind of led lights you need!

Here is a link that might be useful: rayleich.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here