Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor temps for sprouting

Posted by avantown 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:32

Last year, I sprouted and grew most of my vegetables indoors, before planting outside. I'm in northern Illinois (zone 5). They all grew great indoors and adjusted well to outside.

This year, I'm in a new house with a huge basement that I'd like to utilize for starting all my plants, but I'm concerned it's not warm enough. It's a steady 58 degrees right now. I have space in my dining room to grow the plants, but I would prefer to keep it out of the way.

What should the temperature be to grow vegetables effectively indoors?

I have a warming mat for sprouting the seeds. And I know it will be a bit warmer under the lights, once they start growing. Will that matter? Can I put up plastic to help hold in heat and keep it warmer?

Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor temps for sprouting

My basement runs at about 55-60 F

2 story grow box with citrus and veggies growing photo IMG_4916_zps4999f440.jpg
The above light box set up runs at about 75F at the floor and about 100F at the top. I have nails in the walls to hang the planted cups at a height needed to get the best temperature for germination. In your own house you can place a shelf at 6 feet and the light fixture on the joist. This could be 10F or more from the floor. In my experience the higher the temperature the quicker the sprout. up to 105F

o
RE: Indoor temps for sprouting

I'd say do the heat mat with a ventilated covering on until the first true leaves appear and then remove WHILE using a heat mat thermostat.

You can get one on amazon for about 30$ - and check your seed packages or an online resource for germination temperatures on seeds, some actually prefer to be cool

...but it's important to realize soil temperature is 'usually' lower than air temperature, hence the importance of using a heat mat thermostat.

This is a good example from cultivators corner on min, best, and max temps and the effects of temp on seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here