Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielleonfire_gw

mini greenhouse lighting

danielleonfire
11 years ago

Hello! I'm looking for some advice regarding shelf lighting. I have a mini greenhouse shelf unit that i would like to use mainly for starting seedlings (see attached picture). It's situated on my back covered patio which gets a bit of diffuse sunlight, but is primarily shade - and a good deal darker than it looks in the photo. I'm not sure what kind of lighting setup I should use (I'd like to keep it budget-friendly). I'm okay with just using the top few shelves if necessary and keeping supplies in the bottom one. Should I place lights inside or light from the outside? Light from above or the sides? I'm brand new to growing under lights and any help is really appreciated!

Happy growing :)
Danielle

Comments (8)

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing image of mini greenhouse.
    I wish to have more information related to mini greenhouse. I am planning to have mini greenhouse.
    Thanks

• danielleonfire
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure what information I can give you since I've never used one before, but it had decent reviews online (amazon) and was really easy to put together. I got mine at Lowes for a fairly reasonable price (though I had to find an associate to help me find where they were stocked).

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

The main thing I see with these greenhouses is the plastic doesn't come right to the ground so cold air can just swoosh up inside. They also tip easily outside.

If you want to use lights you'd have to measure the length and get ordinary fluorescent shop lights. A 2 bulb fixture with fins on the sides to concentrate the light down is all you'd need. Of course you'd need one for each shelf.

I'd figure out some way to close in the bottom to retain the heat at night. A 100 watt bulb clipped to the bottom shelf will throw enough heat to protect your plant from freezing at night but only if it's made air tight on the bottom

ericsmith --take a look at the "pop up cold frame". You can set it up outside in a few minutes in the spring and it folds right up and into it's own small bag when you don't need it anymore. I bought one last year and I love it. It comes with stakes and has a skirt on the bottom to keep the cold and critters out

• Robert Godwin
    7 years ago

Where did you get the lights

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    7 years ago

Folks. Please do not do this. It is a fire hazard. In this setup the lights are set directly below other plants with no protection. Those lights are not designed to be used in this environment. Any water that finds its way inside those fixture is going to be a hazard. Get better light fixtures and have a water shield in between the shelves to protect the lights.

• Dave
    7 years ago

I think those are the cheap "lights of America" lights from Walmart anyway. They're also pink.

• Steven Claggett
    7 years ago

I have a similar mini greenhouse, I mounted twin bulb, 24" t5ho fixtures under each shelf. I have the unit under the eves of the house to protect from wind and rain, my cover reaches the ground. I use a 24 watt ceramic heater and have kept temps above freezing when temps are as low as 15F.

My unit is full of plants, 10X20 trays keep water from the lighting, everything is growing very well. One negative effect is the heat from the light fixtures dry out the pots above it. I have to water often. I have a similar setup indoors and have to water every three days for semp's and succ's.

Plants thrive under t5ho's

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting