Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mini greenhouse lighting

Posted by danielleonfire 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 14:08

Hello! I'm looking for some advice regarding shelf lighting. I have a mini greenhouse shelf unit that i would like to use mainly for starting seedlings (see attached picture). It's situated on my back covered patio which gets a bit of diffuse sunlight, but is primarily shade - and a good deal darker than it looks in the photo. I'm not sure what kind of lighting setup I should use (I'd like to keep it budget-friendly). I'm okay with just using the top few shelves if necessary and keeping supplies in the bottom one. Should I place lights inside or light from the outside? Light from above or the sides? I'm brand new to growing under lights and any help is really appreciated!

Happy growing :)
Danielle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mini greenhouse lighting

Thanks for sharing image of mini greenhouse.
I wish to have more information related to mini greenhouse. I am planning to have mini greenhouse.
Thanks

o

Not sure what information I can give you since I've never used one before, but it had decent reviews online (amazon) and was really easy to put together. I got mine at Lowes for a fairly reasonable price (though I had to find an associate to help me find where they were stocked).

o

The main thing I see with these greenhouses is the plastic doesn't come right to the ground so cold air can just swoosh up inside. They also tip easily outside.

If you want to use lights you'd have to measure the length and get ordinary fluorescent shop lights. A 2 bulb fixture with fins on the sides to concentrate the light down is all you'd need. Of course you'd need one for each shelf.

I'd figure out some way to close in the bottom to retain the heat at night. A 100 watt bulb clipped to the bottom shelf will throw enough heat to protect your plant from freezing at night but only if it's made air tight on the bottom

ericsmith --take a look at the "pop up cold frame". You can set it up outside in a few minutes in the spring and it folds right up and into it's own small bag when you don't need it anymore. I bought one last year and I love it. It comes with stakes and has a skirt on the bottom to keep the cold and critters out

o

This is my current setup for mine. I intend on getting 3-5 more lights to place inside it however and am considering putting some mylar inside as well. We'll see though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here