Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to decide on what lamps to use for my grow light

Posted by countrygirlinthecity Zone 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 14:08

I currently have a hydro farm grow light running t12's with 5200k and 800 lumens. The light fixture can support t8's, which I want to switch to. I'm going to buy another fixture and am researching the differences between bulbs. I understand for starting veggie seedlings indoors (tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.) I need 5000k to 6500k. I see that there are aquarium lamps that give a broad range. I'm looking at one with 6500k trichromatic full spectrum, daylight 5000k full spectrum, or the average GE bulbs with 4000 to 5000k. The only reason I'm looking at aquarium bulbs vs the grow lamps is price...and it seems the aquarium bulbs have a broader color spectrum. What I have now works, but since its all I've ever used, I don't know if there is a better option or not. My purpose for the light is to start the seedlings on average 4 weeks prior to planting. I'm interested to hear what others have done or suggest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to decide on what lamps to use for my grow light

I use T8 daylight bulbs and the plants grow just fine under them. The most important thing is how close to the plants the light is. Mine are less than an inch away from the plants.Look up T8 light output and you'll find it does have more colored light output than the old fluorescent lights have

o
RE: Trying to decide on what lamps to use for my grow light

Thanks "countrygirlthecity" for sharing this thread. It's an knowledgeable thread for us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here