Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

utility light rehab on a budget

ionized_gw
12 years ago

I started a thread over in the lighting forum You guys over here seem to know a lot about ballasts. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience. I am trying to educate myself on ballasts. Maybe you can help me out.

Thanks for reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: utility light rehab on a budget

Comments (5)

• nhardy
    12 years ago

One of my shop lights died this week. I'm going to replacing the ballast with a simular one. I called my local hardware store & read off the info from the dead ballast. I'm getting a GE rapid start 120 volt ballast & I wanted the one that take up to 40 watt bulbs. Even thou the bulbs I'm using are 32 watts. Just covering my bases.

But if I would of had a lot of ballast to replace, I would have called an eletrical supply store to get a bigger discount. I thought about junking the entire light unit, but to find one with a 12 in. reflecter that did not have a pull cord to start the ballast & free shipping was challenging. I was zero for zero at Lowes & HD. So replacing the ballest seem my best option.

I still prefer T12 bulbs for normal lighting to get a larger lighted area compare to the T8 bulbs that I'm using for my plants that is a smaller lighter area. But you will have to judge the area if your shop lights are close enough to go with the T8 bulbs to get a great saving of electricity.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,for looking.

It will be just too costly to replace all the fluorescent light fixtures that I have. I have learned a lot since posting. For your application, if you can figure out how to rewire, (not hard) and get the right lamps, instant start would be best for energy consumption. That would be true for all growers. Any time that you have long times on (infrequent starts), instant start is best. Ballasts designed for high bay might be best too since they are designed for higher temps.

I just bought 10 program start, T8 GE ballasts on line for $90 including shipping. They can be used for one or two tubes. I will use them in the house and in the garage for frequently-switched lights, 4', 3' double and single and, if they fit, in a fixture with 4 2' tubes. I think that will use them up!

I still have to deal with the 8' fixtures. I have no choice but to go with instant start with those. I am planning to install switches on the individual fixtures so I don't have to fire them all at once and save the tubes from frequent switching. (I will also put another type of light on that circuit.) I have, IIRC 17, of those installed and a couple of spares. I will be looking for a good price on ballasts for those too!

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,for looking.

It will be just too costly to replace all the fluorescent light fixtures that I have. I have learned a lot since posting. For your application, if you can figure out how to rewire, (not hard) and get the right lamps, instant start would be best for energy consumption. That would be true for all growers. Any time that you have long times on (infrequent starts), instant start is best. Ballasts designed for high bay might be best too since they are designed for higher temps.

I just bought 10 program start, T8 GE ballasts on line for $90 including shipping. They can be used for one or two tubes. I will use them in the house and in the garage for frequently-switched lights, 4', 3' double and single and, if they fit, in a fixture with 4 2' tubes. I think that will use them up!

I still have to deal with the 8' fixtures. I have no choice but to go with instant start with those. I am planning to install switches on the individual fixtures so I don't have to fire them all at once and save the tubes from frequent switching. (I will also put another type of light on that circuit.) I have, IIRC 17, of those installed and a couple of spares. I will be looking for a good price on ballasts for those too!

• nhardy
    12 years ago

I installed my ballast. I misplaced my wire strippers but a sharpened paring knife did the trick. I'm glad I got my rapid start ballast. I find I turn on & off my shop light to adjust the height or mist my plants. Or the other night I needed to water my plants & I had to turn back on the lights again. That is how I killed my forty year old ballast. I guess the other two I have are on borrowed time.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think that turning off and on the light hurts the ballast so much as the tubes. For a lot of on/off cycles you really want a programmed start ballast to give the longest bulb life and economical power use. They cost more, but are nearly as good as instant start for power consumption when on, but give good lamp life.

The drawback is that they tend to be expensive, but if you shop around you can find a good deal. After I get done with the 4' fixtures, I will have to start working on the 8' fixtures. I have 17 of them. I bought 10 of these for $90 including shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: 96714 - GE232-MVPS-N

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz