Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CFL Daylight 6500*K Question

Posted by yolos 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:11

I have a grow light plant stand with a shoplight with 4 T-8 daylight deluxe bulbs that appears to be working ok for my vegetable seedlings waiting to be set out when weather warms up.

But I have two artichoke plants that I bought that are 1-1/2 feet tall and will not fit on my growlight stand. I have another shoplight that I can use but I am not sure about the bulb. It is a compact fluorescent 65w daylight 6500*K. Will that work to keep my artichokes healthy until the weather warms up. About 4 weeks. It is 3600 lumens

This post was edited by yolos on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CFL Daylight 6500*K Question

Hi yolos,

Well, I don't really know how much light artichokes like but assuming they're like most vegetables they probably need to be under at least 10,000 lux to grow well.

Your CFL bulb does put out quite a lot of light (3600 lumens). However, considering the size of your artichokes, the light may have to be farther away than normal, in order to cover a good area of the plants. It's just hard to tell. If the light was kept about 6 inches from the plants, I think they would be receiving about 12,000 lux. That sounds good but then you have two plants. I doubt if that one light could adequately cover enough area. If you had two of those CFL's I think they just might do the job. Just too much guess work from here; you'll have to be the final judge of course.

Not much help I know, but no one else was answering your post so I thought I'd at least give you my humble opinion :-)

Art

o
RE: CFL Daylight 6500*K Question

Thank you Art. I do have two of those lights so I will try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here