Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conspicuous HPS light!

Posted by katie999 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 15:18

Hello.

I've bought an High Pressure Sodium lamp. I've mounted it in a cheapish reflector in my study room. The problem is it illuminates the whole room with an orange glow which also emmanates through the curtains and the window. Would a good parabolic reflector direct all the light downwards and solve this problem? Or would the difference be marginal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conspicuous HPS light!

A good reflector will direct more light towards your plant, making it more efficient and effective for growth, but there will still be spillover light. If you are concerned about the glow, you will need to set up some sort of screen around that area of the room, or some serious light-blocking shade on the window.

o

I used an inexpensive room divider lined on the inside with Foylon, a reflective fabric. Gets the light back onto the plants and out of your eyes.

o

Foylon or mylar is made of aluminum (on plastic). This reflects the harmful infra-red and causes the room to be hotter. Better is the "panda paper" which is all plastic, white on one side and black on the other side. The black blocks the light, the white reflects the light in a diffused way for better coverage. The infra-red and heat tends to go through the plastic.

Also get a better-designed horizontal reflector that covers the whole bulb.

o

I think a new reflector will prove to make a marginal difference to solve the problem, but a good idea nonetheless. You could use an indoor, covered greenhouse such as Hydro-Hut or you could build something similar using various enclosed items such as an armoire or portable, covered greenhouse. Friends of mine framed-off an area in their basement in which to keep their garden so as to contain the light and to control the other environmental factors. A word of warning: any time you start containing plants and lights in an enclosed area you will have to monitor and possibly dissipate heat and/or humidity. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here