Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Newb setup

Posted by m1chael (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:32

All-

We do a garden each year and this year I wanted to start my own seedlings in the basement before transplanting them into the garden when it gets warmer. I was going to just get a couple of flat trays or some old containers (maybe yogurt or something to that affect) to start my seedlings in.

So for lighting, can i go with maybe one or two 4 bulb T8's or should I spend the extra money and go with metal halide, high pressure sodium or LED since my main goal will be veggies (tomatoes, peppers, lettuce)?

Not sure exactly how many plants I planned on doing but maybe 3 or 4 of each plant. Also, I am not very familiar with any of the HPS, MH, or LED lights so if you point me in that direction can you give me an idea or link to where to purchase, etc?

Also, just wanted to mention, for this time of the year I just need enough light to get the seedlings started before migrating them out to the garden. But later on when garden season is over outside I wouldn't mind bringing them back in to continue growing if possible.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Newb setup

Personally, and its just my opinions, I dont see the sense in spending a lot of money on the set-up, unless you want to, and have it to spend. I have done well using a couple of cheap shop lights and a plastic stand. I have also even started my tomatoes in my kitchen window with good results, and it only gets direct eastern light. Right now i have 3 , 2 bulb T8 shoplights with a bright daylight bulb and a cool white in each. From what I have read in a few places, you have to keep about 30" ( i think ) from the plants when using halide. I figure you will soon get more knowledgeable input soon.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: My set-up

o

tammyinwv-

Thanks for your help....I decided to go with this last week:

T5 (8 lamp setup)..have (4) 6500K lights and (4) 3000K lights.

Have it set on a timer for 15 hrs. I did notice that it is a little colder than I would like (running around 65 degrees under the lights) and I don't think that is going to work for growing tomatoes / peppers next winter like I had planned.

Looking to insulate somehow and close off the section to try and trap some of the heat. Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks......

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp Setup

o

The florescent lights give off very little heat. you can comfortably handle the bulbs when on. You might check into some extra heat, such as a something with regular bulbs,. I also read where someone bought those mylar type emergency blankets at walmart camping center to wrap around their shelving unit to hold in heat and reflect back the light. They said they were around $3. I am going to look for one.
Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here