Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

Help - First Time Starting Seeds!!!

gardenmommy_2010
13 years ago

So, I'm a new gardener and want to start my own tomato seeds this year to get the heirlooms that I want. Due to some family problems, I didn't get my seeds started till now and just planted them in their little styrafoam cups two days ago. I've been keeping them in my baby's room since that's the warmest room in the house. But, just realized that the seeds don't care that the room is warm, the soil temp reads at 66 degrees. I'm planning on putting them under 4' fluoresdent shop lights in our living room (short on space) once they pop out of the ground but should I do that now to try & keep the soil warmer? I don't have a heating mat but do have a people heating pad. Should I use that? Also, I planted at least twice as many as what I want in the hopes that some survive my clumsy efforts. Is that too many, not enough? Do you typically have a good survival rate? Assuming some live, at what point should I transplant into separate pots? I've got about 4-5 in each styrafoam cup right now. Thanks for all your help!

Comments (9)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Put them on a water heater, gas stove or refrigerator for bottom heat. How close did you plant the seeds?

• gardenmommy_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't anticipate this problem so I planted them about 2 inches from bottom. DH already got the shop lights ready w/ 2 fluorescent tubes - 34 watts each. So, I'll probably set them up w/ the lights for extra heat. If it's not enough light then I'll line the tub w/ aluminum foil for additional reflection. I tried putting the pots outside in the sun but temp dropped since, although it's warm in the sun, it's actually only 58 degrees. Once it gets warmer out during the day then it won't be as much of a problem. I just hate to use so much electricity w/ running the lights so much!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

The seeds should be no deeper than they are wide. That means approx. 1/8" for tomato seeds. If buried too deep they'll never make it out of the soil. I would dump the soil and replant or replant new seeds if you have them. I would also get rid of the 34w T12s if that's what you have and use 40w. You probably won't even notice a difference in the bill only using one set.

• californian
    13 years ago

If you follow the previous posters advice you will get a lot of helmet heads, that is, sprouts where the cotyledons are stuck inside the seed coat. The seedlings need to fight their way up through some soil to scrape the seed coat off. I plant my seeds in holes I make in the seed starting mix with the eraser end of a pencil 3/8 of an inch deep but cover them with pure vermiculite which makes it easier for the seedlings to push their way through.
    I also think the bulbs you have already are good enough if you can put the seedlings directly under them and close.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Bad advice! Seeds planted too deep will rot before they surface. Seeds should be planted no deeper than the size of the seed and that is common knowledge for any experienced gardener. Californian doesn't even have a grow list on their home page or post photos of what they grow which to me shows inexperience.

• michelelc
    13 years ago

I've only been starting seeds for a couple of years, and I've found tomatoes remarkabaly easy. The first year I did not have a heat mat, and they still sprouted, they just took a little longer. When you do put them under lights, keep them about 2" from the light. Also, don't overwater, I've made that mistake and you can get dampening off, which will kill the seedlings. Keep a fan blowing lightly on the seedlings, that helps air circulation and helps the stems to get stronger. If you have a timer, the easiest way to set up the light is to plug it into a timer with 16hrs on and 8 hrs off. And, bottom water if you can. Fill the bottom of your tray with water and wait until the soil at the top of each cup gets wet, then pour the rest of the water out of the tray. Re-pot the seedlings into bigger cups when they get 2 true leaves. Also, if you had more than 1 seedling come up in each cup, cut the weaker one at the soil line before re-potting, to give the stronger one more room since you don't want 2 in a pot and if you try to separate them you risk damaging the roots. I think the hardest thing to resist is overwatering, and that is the main reason seedlings don't survive. Good luck! Be careful, seed starting is addictive :)

• gardenmommy_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whoo hoo! Thanks for all the great advice guys! You make it seem less complicated & like it's doable. I actually also planted lettuce, swiss chard & spinach & am happy to report that the lettuce is already saying "hello"! So, replant when I get the 2 true leaves? At what point should I replant the lettuce? I know it should be able to go straight into the ground in about 2-3 weeks - just in time for my (hopefully) growing tomatoes. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated - like how do you manage the bigger plants? They're so nice & compact as little cups. I'll be running out of room fast as they start growing!

• michelelc
    13 years ago

My guess is with the lettuce, you don't need to re-pot but I haven't grown it from seed myself. make sure you harden off the lettuce and other seedlings before planting them. Bring them outside gradually, over a week or so. Start with about an hour in a protected location, and gradually expose them to more sun and elements. I always run out of room. You may want to invest in a wire rack with shelves, if you have the space to keep it. You can buy a small one at Costco for under $40.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I 100% agree with Michelelc

GREAT ADVICE!!

Keriann~

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville