Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curling leaves

Posted by jburesh1388 z8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 06 at 15:57

Hi everyone! I have planted a number of seeds, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce under a shop light. They are growing well and are about 3-4" tall right now. However, I have noticed that recently their leaves have all started to curl slightly. Nothing else seems wrong with the seedlings, but I was wondering if anyone might have some advice.

I have kept the light a few inches from the leaves and raised it as they grew. The soil is consistently moist.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curling leaves

Light might be too bright.

o

curling up is sometimes due to too high a rate of transpiration. whats your temp?humidity?

are the leaves curling up from the edges towards the center?

o

the curling is mainly on the lettuce and spinach. I have moved the light farther and that seems to be helping. The leaves are curling like a cork screw, in a spiral fashion.

thanks for the help!

o

Shop lights? Probably not too much light. But lettuce and spinach prefer lower temperatures and tomatoes like higher. What are your hi and lo temps running?

o

The lows are about 40 degrees or more, the highs would be 60-65. They are in a attached garage that houses the furnance, so it says slightly cooler than the rest of the house.

o

I'm not an expert veggie grower, but that sounds OK for the leafy veggies. Could there be some sort of fumes coming from the furnace that the plants don't like?

o

They could be planted too close together too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here