Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling heat mats

Posted by Karen_B 6a SC PA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 05 at 16:04

I am new to starting seeds indoors using a seedling heat mat, I bought the heat mat and the automatic thermastat. I have the setup in the basement which is around 55-60 degrees. The thermastat states that if the heat mat stays on for more than 5 hours at a time to add something under the mat to hold in the heat. Any suggestions?

The setup: Sunlight table growlight, 4' L heat mat on top of the growlight base (the base is partially filled in with ceramic tile because the mat is larger than the base and doesn't fit inside the base). I put a cardboard box over the trays (because the seeds need the dark to germinate).

Thanks
Karen_B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling heat mats

Bubble wrap, expanded polystyrene sheets, corrugated cardboard, even a blanket or a folded bedsheet.

o

I have flats of cuttings that I'm rooting and also some flats of seeds on heat mats in my unheated greenhouse. The temp of the GH is in the 80's on a sunny day but dips down pretty low at night. I've placed the mats on a sheet of rigid styrofoam, the flats with clear dome lids on top and at night I go out and cover the flats with several layors of burlap (a blanket would do just as well)which I remove during the day. A few cloudy, cold days I haven't bothered to remove the burlap. I should add that my heat mats came with a thin plastic tray that they sit in as well, so they do not sit directly on the styrofoam.

o

Thanks for your ideas, the flats are supposed to be kept in the dark so I covered them with cardboard boxes and now the light on the thermostat has gone out. Apparently it didn't need much. Thanks, I will remember all of your ideas.
Karen_B

o

I have a problem with TOO MUCH heat from a mat. I have three altogether, two of them some years old. This morning I discovered that one of the older ones had gone wild and heated a flat planted with lobelia, candytuft and carnation seeds to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Of course, I've moved the flat to another mat. My question: have the seeds been cooked beyond germination? They've been on the bad tray for 48 hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here