Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trixylarue_gw

Difference between 2x2' and 1x4' Flourescent lights

trixylarue
17 years ago

I am setting up a new light stand which is 4' long. I had a previous stand that was only 2' long, therefore I already have several sets of 2' grow light fixtures.

Is there a big difference between using (2) 2' fixtures (2 x 20watt bulbs in each) end to end or using (1) 4' fixture (2 x 40 watt bulbs) in relation to the amount of light it puts out. This shelf will be used for african violets.

This shelf will be used for African Violets. I know I can get a 4' fixture cheap but if there is not much diference with 2 X 2' why bother?

Comments (2)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Trixylarue,

Since you already have them there is no harm in using the 2-foot fixtures end-to-end. They probably aren't quite as good as a single 4-foot bulb because for some reason the ends of the bulbs don't emit quite as much light as the main body of the bulb, so the two extra ends may reduce your light output a bit.

Some self-contained 2-foot bulbs like those sold in Wal-Mart seem rather dim as compared to most standard T8 or T12 bulbs, but that shouldn't be too surprising considering their low cost. However, quality 2-foot fixtures and bulbs can be quite bright. And African Violets don't require super bright lighting anyway.

MM

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

I'll go further. Your 2' tubes are 99% certain to be quite a bit less bright than a single good 4' tube would be, even a lower power 32W T8, and some older ones will be a lot less bright. Whether it is worth replacing them, assuming the plants grow OK under the 2' tubes, is up to you. Over the life of a tube you would save enough electricity to cover the cost of the replacement fixtures, but that might be several years.

Plus the 2' tubes cost about the same as 4' ones and only last half as long. Maybe you should buy a new fixture when your stock of 2' tubes run out :)