Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help finding shop lights and shelving unit!

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 17:40

I need help finding a shop light fixture for a light set up for starting seedlings. I need 4 of them, and I need each shop light to hold 4 bulbs.

I am also looking for them at a decent price (with the shelving unit). I found a 4 tier shelving unit that is 48" per shelf, but the lowest price for that is $79, which is too steep for me.

Somebody suggested the idea of building a shelf unit for starting seedlings with PVP pipe. Would building a 4 tier shelf unit out of PVP be cheaper than buying a shelf unit of that size? IF so, where can I find plans for how to build this please? Pictures with it would be appreciated (with plans for PVP shelf) as I'm not good with building stuff.

The set up will be a 4 tier light set up for starting seedlings. I've looked online but all I can find are 2 light fixture shop lights.

I am also looking for a 4 tier shelf that is 48" long; it has to be that length as that is how long my T8 bulbs are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help finding shop lights and shelving unit!

4 light fixtures are very much more expensive than 2 light fixtures and then theres the cost of the bulbs. You don't really need four lights You just need a 2 light fixture with wider wings. I have 2 with a 13 inch width on a table 3 feet by 4 feet and they work very well. I can get 6 trays under them. The ones in the center get a bit less light but I move them around every time I water. I have them connected to a power bar and that's plugged into the wall.

I have seen them with a 9 foot width and that would be fine on a shelf. The major thing when buying lights is to have wings so the light is concentrated downward.

I would check all the hardware and big box stores that you have in your area on line. You might be able to find some on sale and them you can go into the store.

As for shelving look in resale stores or second hand stores and think outside the box. Remember you have to hang the lights on something so I'd stick to wood

o
RE: need help finding shop lights and shelving unit!

Thanks for starting threads. I am facing same problem as you and eager to get solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here