Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

simple light question

johndoug
16 years ago

i just put up $15 flourescent fixtures. i have bulbs from another project that are your normal Lowes/Home Depot 4100, and i need 50% more for growing from seed (veggies).

I want quick/cheap things, they don't have to be the best. I figured just go to Lowes, but i'm willing to not use the 4100 on these. Should i:

Keep 4100 and add 5100?

Keep 4100 and add 6500?

Should i try to find a 3000? If so, what should the accompanying bulb be? 5100 or 6500?

I know there are many other factors, lumens, etc etc, but i'm hopeful that old lowes lights will get me the result i need. Please help! Thank you!

Comments (3)

• catlover003
    16 years ago

hi..

I've been spending a lot of hours researching on lights best for sowing seeds, regular houseplants (foliage only), houseplants that flowers.

the basic answer i can answer you is that 4100 is not good enough to grow plants. 4100 is more greenish/yellowish light which will not help plants to produce pothynothesis because green light reflects, it is no benefit to plants.

To sow seeds, blueish light 5000-6500 K is the best. I have done a lot of testing in a week, and I find Home Depot's 27w CFL at 6500 K and at 1680 lumen each works for my regular houseplants I have two 27w "Daylight" CFL in my kitchen. They're growing crazy right now, Pothos, especially had grow about two new leaves just in a week.

For flowering plants, both blue and red light combo (2700-3500K) and 6500 K would give you the best lighting. The higher lumen the CFL or light will be the best.

To sow seeds, i find under 6500 K and higher lumens works beautiful.

It is all depends on what you are trying to grow.

All light lumens reduce over time. So it would be best thing if you replace the old lights you have.

I'm sure you can find more information from other people and throughout this forum. I got those information from this forum and decided to try.

Good Luck.

• maineman
    16 years ago

johndoug,

"...and I need 50% more for growing from seed (veggies). I want quick/cheap things, they don't have to be the best."

I use $2 Philips Cool White (4100°K) T8 bulbs from Home Depot, because of their low price. They seem to work OK for my seedlings. I bought a few warm white T8s and my seedlings leaned away from them toward the cool whites, so I quite buying more of those and moved some of them to room lighting.

For a minimum cost situation, keep your 4100s and "upgrade" the new bulbs to a cooler color temperature, within your budget. I'm using the 4100s simply because I can get a box of 10 of them for $19.95 at Home Depot. I also use their $8 Commercial Electric ShopLights. They are economical and can be converted to an overdriven configuration for 50% more light. I use overdriven fixtures for my larger plants.

MM

• johndoug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is one superior to another? (t8 vs. t12)?