Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dexygus

help with light fixture

dexygus
18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to gardening (and electrical issues), so please be patient.

I'm starting veggie seeds (tomatoes, peppers, herbs, lettuce) indoors. I bought a 2-light 24" fluorescent light fixture, and when I opened the box today I noticed there was no power cord. It's just some wires attached to the ballast (I don't even know what a ballast is, just that it's the box attached to the frame of the fixture). Anyway, I don't want to permanently install the light in my guest bedroom which is where I get the most natural sunlight. I just want to use it for seed-starting.

Is there a way to attach the ballast wires to a power cord, so I can just plug it in? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Any help will be appreciated. and please reply quickly too, since my seeds will germinate any day now.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    18 years ago

Hi Dexygus,

Me being a woman - i would just take it back, ask the guy in a store what did they do to a power cord - and if it comes without - please - please show me what I need to buy.
    Kinda strange - I bought tons of them - they always come with a power cord.

About the temporary fixture - buy a couple of ceiling plant hooks and chains and hang the fixture above the table near the window in your guest room. When your seedlings will grow - you can raise the fixture to give them more room - you need to keep the light just above your plants - and eventually remove it till the next spring - just the hooks left. If your guests do not look at the ceiling too much - they will never guess that you put them in a plant room.

Cheers

irina

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Yes, the wires are intended to be connected to a power cord, although they are left loose so it can be wired into a ceiling or wall. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself (it isn't hard, but it also isn't something you should risk getting wrong!) then it would be best to take it back and flutter your eyelashes ;) They may have a similar shoplight that already has a plug-in cord attached, or will at least tell you which wire to connect to which.

• dexygus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses, irina co and shrubs and bulbs. After more research online, I decided that I'm not ready for wiring. I ordered a hydrofarm unit online, and returned the other one to Home Depot who doesn't carry what I was looking for.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County