Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

looking for plans for a make-it-yourself light stand; please help

I am in the process of planning to make a grow light stand. I've found the lights to use for it, and I found where I can get shop lights that are what I'm looking for at a decent price.

NOTE: I did look for plans online and via this forum but the forum with the link the link was broken. The only plans I found online were one tier grow light shelves which isn't what I'm looking for.

I plan to do a 4-tiered light stand. I found a 4 tier shelf with each shelf being 48" long (the shelves have to be that long, as this is how long my lights are). It's $79.

I am debating making a grow light stand myself from PVC pipe. HOwever my question is which would be the cheaper way to go? Building the stand from pvc pipe or buying the already constructed 4 tier shelf?

Here is a link that gives a picture of what I'd like for it to look like. Here is the materials needed and how they constructed it (excerpt it listed below)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/16/AR2010021604782.html

The stand is six feet tall, four feet long and two feet wide, and consists of 57 sections of pipe, 50 joints, 4 plywood shelves, 16 bolts, 4 shop lights and 8 fluorescent bulbs. Cost: $151.69. Cost in aggravation: $8 million, which included five journeys to three big-box stores at a time when hordes were fighting over the last snow shovel on the Eastern Seaboard.

I won't bore you with all the snags in the assembly, except to say that I had to make close to 200 pipe cuts using a miter box and a hacksaw. One of the biggest challenges was anchoring the plywood shelves. They were labeled 48-by-24 inches but as is customary, they were less than that and too small to rest on the frames of pipe for each deck. My initial, harebrained solution was to insert T-joints that would have connected additional supporting pipes beneath the plywood. No good. My second scheme was to drill holes in some of the joints so I could weave a web of supporting string underneath each plank. It looked like a dream catcher, which later seemed oddly appropriate. The solution was to reduce the width of the whole apparatus by an inch so the plywood could be bolted to the frame.

I am looking for instructions similar to this but a little bit more specific and preferably with pictures to go along with each step.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County