Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinamon

seed starting and seedling light

chinamon
14 years ago

i just bought a 2x1 ft propagation tray with dome which i use to start my seeds in rockwool cubes. i will be starting 10-20 plants at a time and i am shopping around for a light. there is a local hydroponic store that has a 2 foot t5 fixture with 6500k bulb and reflect for $55 (dual light fixture for $90) so i was wondering if the single bulb fixture would be sufficient? or will i need a dual light fixture?

Comments (7)

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

chinamon, check this out. You can build this light for $70 for 4 bulbs or $45 for 2 bulbs. Two bulbs should be sufficient for starting seedlings and would produce 2,700 lumens. Everything is at Home Depot. The parts list include:

-(2) 2'- 2 light fixtures w/ light bulbs ($25 each = $50)
    -(1) 2' piece of metal air ducting(reflector)$3.50
    -(1) 1'x1'x1/2" piece of plywood cut in semi circles for sides.$5
    - Duct tape to attach the sides to the ducting.$3.00
    -(4) #10- 3/4" bolt screws to bolt lights to the ducting.$1.00
    -(1) 6ft.-14 gauge grounded power cord.(hook both lights to the cord with wire nuts,(included with lights).$6.00

* You'll need a drill, 1/2" and 1/8" drill bits and a jig saw to cut the sides. Hope this helps.

file:///F:file:///F:/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00751.JPG/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00750.JPG

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Sorry, here's a pic. You'll notice I have (1) 2-strip light and (2) 1 strip lights. It's cheaper to buy (2) 2-strip lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1021867}}

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Uh, don't be misled by those who say you need to spend big bucks for lights to grow seedlings. Go to Wally World or any other Big Box store, or even your local hardware store, get a simple shop light for $15 and you will have everything you need for two of your kits. The lights are 4' long, not 2'.

I raised 72 seedlings, each one in a 3" square container, under two of these last year and they did as well, if not better, than any others including some under a 150 watt HPS lamp.

Mike

• colokid
    14 years ago

Hate to be picky urban, but can you reduce that picture? I never did get a good look at it--kind of can't see the tree for the forest.
    I second Mike on the cheap shop light. $15.00 compared to $90.00 The cheapest bulbs seem to work as good as high price so call "grow bulbs". Even if you have to buy a shorter one, I think you can beat that price.

• chinamon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i live in canada and i already went to Home Depot and Rona and neither one have 2' t5 or t8. the only 2' fixtures are t12 and i do not want those at all.

i could get 4' t8 fixtures but i do not have the room for those which is why i want the 2' fixtures.

my dad told me to just use my 400w HID fixture and save my money. he pays for the electricity. lol

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

@chinamon, that sucks you can't find it. I just checked the website and they aren't even on there. Must be select stores. I think the 400 watt will do the trick:~)

@colokid, I resized it. Sorry about that. Does anyone know how to upload pics directly to the post?

@wordwiz, whatever floats your boat my friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1021868}}

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

ugf,

Standard html code:

without the spaces after or before the .

Mike