Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west9491

setting up my light

west9491
16 years ago

i want to use my 292 watt compact fluorescent light to start my plants indoors, i just don't know how to set it on something, right now it just lays on top of my aquariums glass canopy just fine, but setting, lower, i want to make sure it doesn't become a fire hazard (to what i set the light on). It doesn't have anyway to hang it from like a ceiling.

both lights in it are on and runnin about 90 to 100 degrees.

which isn't that big of a deal, but i would rather be safe that sorry.

anybody got any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• lermer
    16 years ago

(Lermer) Almost certainly, you do not have a 292 watt bulb. Rather, the manufacturer claims your light to be equivalent to 292 watts of incandescent. Compact fluorescents don't reflect very well, because they are neither a point nor line source. If you are setting the light on glass, I don't see how a fire could start.

I think you would be better off with a straight line fluorescent tube.

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so if i get straight line, which i think would be better cuz then i could chain mount it....how many watts would it need

as for the rest of what you said, i have no idea, all i know is that the fixture pushes two 96 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. which are 6700 K bulbs, and according to aquarium catalogs, articles, etc., this is the same measurement as the sun.

thanks for a response!

• lermer
    16 years ago

(Lermer) What are the dimensions of your aquarium? Most straight line fluorescents are 4', 2', or 1.5'

The main benefit of the glass cover over aquariums is to protect the light fixture from water damage. If you are growing plants, the main benefit would be for cuttings, to retain the humidity. Otherwise I would remove the glass top, to allow heat to escape, and not intefere with light (you'll lose almost 10% going through the glass). In fact, if you are not using this for cuttings, probably you're better off without the aquarium. This will increase air circulation.

The best temperature for plant growth is 76 degrees F.

• tdscpa
    16 years ago

West9491

I have aquariums with compact fluorescents, also. If you have two 96w bulbs, that is 192w total. Should work great for seed starting. They can be placed a little higher above your seedlings than typical 40w bulbs. After all, they provide plenty of light for the plants in your 18" deep? aquarium.

My highest output light is a homemade fixture with two 55w bulbs. My fixture has about 2" at each end that could be supported by a stack of books or something similar. Mine do not get very hot near the ends.

Question: How is your aquarium going to get along without light while you grow garden seedlings?

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i've given away most of the plants, keeping the low light ones, which are doing amazingly well.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths