Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pulleys with lights

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 20:13

I'm interested in hooking up my shop lights with pulleys a la a window shade - meaning that I want to pull on one side and have the light move up or down and be level.

Has anyone done this? Any pointers, pictures or tips?

I can follow directions, but my 4 year old is a better engineer.

Thanks

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pulleys with lights

You might check out some of the fish/aquarium forums. I have seen several types there. They use systems like that for access to the fish tank for maintenance etc. Most I have seen are too complicated and/or expensive for me. I use small chains and a large hook at the top and just move my lights as needed. BTW, you can even get motors and do this with electricity if you got the money and time.

o

This is what was recommended to me - and I bought them on eBay - much cheaper than at hydroponic growing stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Light Hangers

o

Andew, I find it much easier to use small chains and cup hooks. You can adjust however you want. Just hook the cup hooks in the chosen chain links and voila, your level achieved. Bear in mind, some of your starts will be smaller than the others (ex. tomatoes, tall, peppers small) that way, you can accommodate them both. Best of Luck. Homegrown, Buzzard Queen.
"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed"

o

It is hard to beat a chain and hook. They are cheap,strong and easy to adjust.
Photobucket

o

This might help.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/616213/
Grow lights, greenhouse and garden / 2008

ZOOM

ZOOM

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Garden

o

Doesn't having the light source not horizontal cause the plants to bend away from growing vertically. They do this outside too as they follow the sun, but the sun moves so the plants wouldn't get a permanent set.I guess you could physically keep moving the plants around to compensate.

o

I have perfected a method of raising and lowering shoplights using pulleys. Check out my video where I explain the process on youtube.

Shop Light Pulley System (YouTube)

o

Here is a link that might be useful: Shop Light Pulley System (youtube)

o

Woots, thank you for posting that. Very helpful! I'm fairly handy but haven't worked much with pulleys. I'll probably be rigging something similar this year.

Danielle

o

Excellent setup you have there, might be borrowing some of your ideas and try them out on mine. Been wanting to be able to do arbitrary adjustments on my fixture but haven’t had an idea how to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here