Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patsi_gw

My Simple Method with Pictures -Starting Under Lights

patsi
15 years ago

I've just started to share our experiences with other bloggers on "how we start plants under lights".

Thought it might be useful for some.

This link with pictures may be informative to look at.

We like to keep it simple. :)

Patsi

Under Lights from start to finish

Comments (8)

• anniebetannie
    15 years ago

Again thanks Patsi....DH looked at the pictures and figured how to make mine.
    I made a mistake on my zone. It is 5 not 7. I did call our Extension Office and found out that May 1 is our safest date for planting regarding last frost.
    Are you or any others starting seeds yet?, and what are your starting. Annie

• patsi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Tried to e-mail you at earthlink. Didn't go through.
    E-mail me if you need more details.
    We're in Zone 7a and won't put anything out before Mothers Day. Husband put his tomato plants out late last year around the last week in May...no problem...just had fruits a week or two later than normal. We start most seeds come mid March.

• sip734
    15 years ago

Your pictures are helpful,but where do you find someplace warm enough to germinate? Our house is never that hot.

• patsi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sip,
    We put up a shelf in our laundry room that is about 2 feet
    from the ceiling where the temps are higher since heat rises.
    You can always use heating pads if your not growing as many plants as we do.
    Or some people use the top of their frigerator.
    Try and find someplace up high it should work.
    You may want to get a room thermometer and lay it down next to your tray or trays.
    This way you'll know for sure if it's warm enough.

Good luck,
    Patsi

• kandm
    15 years ago

Great post!

It really is amazing what those lights will do for seedlings. My confidence as a gardener has sky rocketed thanks to my t12s.

• patsi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree...it's amazing!
    It's also amazing how many people still rely on window light. :(
    We've been at it for 6 years and our method of growing under lights which I believe is common...works like a charm.

• kandm
    15 years ago

I never realized how affordable a fluorescent light set up could be. I paid $10 for a 48 inch two bulb shop light and $8 for two t12 bulbs. A lot of gardening catalogs sell set ups that cost hundreds of dollars. Another reason I relied on window light was that I didn't realize how cool running and energy efficient the lights are. Live and learn I guess.

• patsi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm stunned by what they charge in the catalogs for a very small lighting set-up.
    But If you don't know any better or have hundreds to spend...I guess it's fine.
    Ours is expensive BUT for $250 we get a 5 metal shelves($50) and 10 double light fixtures($200).
    With that in mind..I can put 3 trays on each shelf times 5 is 15 trays.
    We grow alot of tomatoes and flowers!