Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How soon can I move my Onions

Posted by bside27 z5 Worcester MA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 20:21

I have started two varieties of sweet onions on 2/10. They have been under flourescent lights for about three days, and most of them are about two or three inches tall and have the seed casing stuck to the top. So my first question is.... Is it okay if the seed casing stays on the top? And my second question is..... When is the absolute soonest that I can move these to my sunny indoor front porch? I am planning to start my tomatoes in about ten days and I only have enough light for one, so I need to move the onions before my tomatoes germinate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How soon can I move my Onions

Bside27,

It's OK to leave the onion seed husk attached to the tip of the onion "leaf", or you can gently pull it off if you prefer. Sometimes I will place a drop of water on the seed to soften it so I can remove it easier. It actually doesn't matter because the very tip frequently dies anyway. And sometimes, if the onions grow too tall for your plant shelves, it is OK to snip off the ends of the leaves anyway. It's a little bit like trimming grass.

"When is the absolute soonest that I can move these to my sunny indoor front porch?"

Maybe now. How cool is it on your front porch? Onions like cool temperatures but freezing temperatures are not good for them. And the day length may not be long enough for them out on your front porch. I keep my onions under lights until they are well over a foot tall. I don't have a sunny porch or coldframe, so I transplant them from my plant stand directly into the garden a few weeks before Memorial Day. Memorial Day is our safe no-frost date.

There is a lot of good information about growing onions at the Dixondale Farms web site. As the saying goes, "they know their onions."

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here