Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjstatz

New light set up, cheap...ish

jjstatz
10 years ago

Wanted to post some info and images of my new set up light.

Materials and cost:

Lights: menards - Sylvania 32 Watt T8Cool white Fluorescent Bulb 12 Pack - 2550 lumens each, $25

Fixtures: menards - 2 light 48" shop lights, 9.99 each, 5 for 49.95

Plug strip, already had

Timer, black 24 hour - menards - 2.99

Rack - found at restaurant closing, they let me take it free!!!

Trays and cells from green house mega store

1020 Trays - Standard weight w/holes, 10 each $12.00

^did not mean to get with holes, will be going to wally-world to pick up no-hole trays. Eager much?

cells, Deep Inserts, 10/pack - #606, 6 cells/insert, 6 inserts/sheet $9.00

(I saw walmart has hex cells with a 1020 no hole tray and humidity dome for 2 dollars each... Kicking myself)

not pictured
10x20 hydrofarm heat mats - 2, found on amazon for about $22 each

Soil thermostat, hydrofarm - 1, amazon - $32

s hooks, $1 per package, 2

Grand total not including starter mix, seeds (oh god), tax, or replacement no hole 1020 trays - 154.94

I may buy 5 more fixtures and a beefed up plug strip, but I think I can get by with 2 1020 trays single-file as shown with one fixture over each. I'm a little worried about the 6-8 week seedlings I'll be starting soon getting leggy since they'll be under lights the longest.

The whole set up:
{{gwi:220145}}

fancy chain lengthen-er... safetypins...
{{gwi:220146}}

Timer and plug in strip
{{gwi:220147}}

Some new babies under the lights
{{gwi:220149}}
For those wondering...
Just came in today from wellspring, left to right

Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
Anthurium Tricolor
Colocasia 'Puckered Up'
Bird of Paradise - White Giant
Alocasia macrorrhiza - Borneo Giant Elephant Ear

(going to be a major pot-up)

For humidity on trays, since GHMS doesn't carry a humidity dome tall enough for the deep cells, i'll be using the ever so fancy plastic wrap and skewer method.

Since I only have two heat mats and one thermostat, I've sorted my seeds into heat groups and sub grouped by germination speed - they'll be started in batches grouped accordingly and then moved off the heat mats allowing the next group to go in to be started. The germinated batch will be moved up to a blank spot under (more) lights and plastic wrap removed.

For ventilation, the overpowered ceiling fan should keep things moving. The alo/colocasia's are swaying with it on, I think it'll be plenty for everything all told.

See any issues? Think this is enough light? Or should I go ahead and put in a 2nd set of fixtures?

Thanks!

Jordan

Comments (11)