Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniebetannie

4ft. T8 fluorescent fixture

anniebetannie
15 years ago

Maybe someone could be so kind to read this and see if this will do for my plant and veggie seeds. I will be using shelves in the basement.

This is from the Univ. of N. Hampshire extension office. I live in Omaha, Ne. Thanks, Annie

Lighting: A simple 2-bulb 4-foot fluorescent fixture with standard COOL WHITE bulbs is

adequate for most leafy vegetables. Do not buy any of the fancy fluorescent grow bulbs; you are

wasting your money on these expensive bulbs. When we set up a fluorescent light system to

grow vegetables, what we are paying for is the intensity of light called lumens. For plants the

more lumens the better. Advances in fluorescent fixtures and bulbs now give us significantly

more lumens per watt of electricity used than ever before. These highly efficient fixtures and

bulbs are called T8 fluorescent and are available at all home improvement centers at a very low

cost. These new fluorescent COOL WHITE bulbs produce 2850 lumens per bulb. This is more

than adequate to keep lettuce, Swiss chard and spinach very happy.

What You Will Need: A 4ft. T8 fluorescent fixture that will accommodate 2 bulbs, two T8

fluorescent bulbs, a 2ft. x 4ft. space with an overhead means to suspend the fluorescent fixture

and adjust to different heights above your plants, and a 3 prong grounded, mechanical timer

available at home improvement centers.

Lighting set up: You must be able to adjust the height of the lights so that they are always 3-4

inches above your plants as they grow. Lightweight chain with links is very effective. Program

your light timer to be on 14-16 hours per day.

When would I start planting the seed. They tell me that I can transplante to outside May 1. Also, I've saved some plastic containers, milk jugs and water bottles to use with Shultz potting mixture. I have a spray bottle ready and a fan for circulation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (8)

• patsi
    15 years ago

You've got it !!
    People make it too complicated. But it anyone feels expensive/fancy is better than I guess it's ok.

• anniebetannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patsi, thanks so much!! I went to Home Depot today and bought a Intermatic Heavy Duty Timer with 6 receptacles. My husband with hang the lights with thin chains to the height desired. I also looked for the potting soil. They did carry Miracle grow. I wish it weren't so heavy. Could or should I buy it and add some more peat to it, or look for Schult? I wish I had an automatic mister for water. Does anyone know of anything like that. I will be leaving for a week to go to Co. to be with grands on their Spring break. I'm going to have to depend on my DH to water the seedlings. Oh boy!!!! He also has to care for my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I always worry a little when gone.

• patsi
    15 years ago

We have no pets but do go on vacation in April while plants are under lights. NO problem...
    keep lights a little higher,temperature around 55 degrees and fill trays 3/4 with water.
    Haven't lost any yet!

I blog for fun and just did a post about starting plants under lights. You might enjoy it. Just click below.
    Garden Endeavors

Have FUN !
    Patsi

• anniebetannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patsi, your blog was great. I've learned so much from you already. The pictures really help. Can I water from underneath (like with African Violets)?, or do I have to mist. I know I don't have a cover like yours. Should I get one???? Also, I will be buying the pellets. How great they are. Thanks, Annie

• patsi
    15 years ago

Annie,
    We just use a pitcher of room temperature water and pour it in the bottom of the trays. Fill the trays about 1/4 of an inch deep with water,you want the plants very moist after they drink up the water. You'll figure out what works best.
    Clear plastic lid comes with the pellets and tray (it's sold as one item).
    Glad the pictures were helpful, I was hoping they would be.

Have a great weekend,
    Patsi

• bluto20
    15 years ago

$20 Wal-Mart

• kandm
    15 years ago

How do you post pictures?

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

The easiest way is to download and install Google's Picasa. Get yourself a Google account too. You can use Picasa to download pictures off your digital camera, fix the lighting (click the "I'm feeling lucky" button and it magically makes your photo look awesome, save it and then use Picasa to easily upload the photo to Picasaweb. Then as you browse your photos there, click into the photo and on the right side there's a link that says "Link to this photo". You click that, choose the size you want to represent the picture as (400 is good) and the site gives you the full HTML code where it says 'embed image' to easily copy and paste that code right here on GardenWeb. Easy as pie once you get it setup.

From 020508