Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Seven tube per shelf monster seed starting setup

californian
14 years ago

I just finished the first shelf of my five shelf seed starting setup. Southern California Edison is subsidizing the cost of 4 foot long fluorescent strip lights and I can buy them for $1.99 each. They don't come with a power cord so I bought ten power cords for $1.59 each plus $11 shipping at a discount power cord company. In Home Depot of Lowes power cords cost anywhere from six to eight dollars each. I bolted seven light strips onto two metal bars and hung the whole setup from the top shelf of the five shelf wire rack I am using. The shelves are 24 inches by 54 inches, so the top of the shelf is wall to wall light. The shelves are adjustable so I can change the spacing as the plants grow. Each fluorescent light strip has its own power cord so I can plug in just what I need for what is currently growing on the shelf. All seven plug into a seven outlet surge protector that has a switch of it. I covered the whole setup with one of these reflective space blankets to reflect light back onto the plants and keep the heat in. As I get into higher production I will add lights onto the remaining shelves.I bought 12 light fixtures but I am wondering if I should go buy 16 more while I can still get them cheap so I can have a 28 fluorescent tube growing rack. I am using Phillips Alto Plus 4 foot T8 daylight bulbs with a 6500K color temperature and a CRI of 85 and a life of 36,000 hours. They cost $24.99 plus tax for a box of 10 at Home Depot. The most expensive component is the heavy duty commercial wire rack that is 24 x 54 x 63 inches high. I got a good deal on it during a clearance sale, cost about $100. It has 5 inch ball bearing wheels on it so I can roll my whole setup outside on warm sunny days if I want to. It is supposed to be able to hold over half a ton load, and its is coated with green epoxy paint and guaranteed not to rust for 10 years (the Lowes chrome racks will rust in less than a year if exposed to constant moisture). I also had to buy maybe ten dollars worth of wire nuts, nuts, bolts, screws, and feedthroughs. All hardware is stainless steel.

Comments (5)

• andyinnyc
    14 years ago

You might want to invest in a fan or too - all those lights are going to generate significant heat. Plus, the fan will help the plants develop thicker stems.

Post a picture or too.

Andrew

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

You can wire all the fixtures to one or two cords, to gain outlets and make it look more organized. Unless your worried about electricity costs, you can't give your plants too much fluorescent light, at any stage of growth.

• californian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can somewhat control the temperature by opening or closing the space blankets I am using to reflect the light back onto the plants. With one side open the temperature was running around 70 degrees, with it shut and only four tubes lit it was up to 80 degrees. I haven't tried all seven tubes yet with the blankets closed, but I am guessing it would get up to around 90. I also put a humidity gauge in the setup and with the blankets closed it gets up to around 70% and I start getting condensation on the insides of the blankets.
    I already have the first shelf completely full and it looks like I will have to put in another seven lights so I can use another shelf.
    I still want each light to have its own power cord so I can turn on just the lights I want.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

calif I under stand the separate cords. I just added a two bulb 40w t12 to my shelf today. I hung it on its side along the back of the shelf with the 2 two bulb 32w t8s hanging over the top. So now I have 6 lamps to a 1'x4' shelf and 6 separate cords for all the lights and fan. Ha ha they fill up my power strip.Have fun!
    Curt :-)

• californian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just finished the second shelf of seven tubes so now have 14 tubes total, seven per a shelf. With all seven tubes on and my reflective space blankets closed up all around it gets up to 88 degrees inside, but by opening one side I can reduce that to 70 degrees. By playing around with how much ventilation I allow I can probably get any temperature I want in the 70 to 88 degree range. I also have a humidity gauge and the relative humidity is running around 70 percent with the blankets closed, in fact I get some condensation on the inside of the blanket. I also installed an insulating rubber pad on the shelf and covered it with aluminum foil to reflect back any lost light.
    I am now debating whether I should add a third shelf of seven lights while I can still get the fluorescent strip lights for $1.99 each (just the bare fixture and ballast, no bulb or power cord).