Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkpr01

Problems with Lithonia 1241 worklight

zkpr01
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've never installed lighting before so this might be a stupid question. I purchased this fixture the past week at HD. It states on the box that it accepts 40w, 34w, 25w, T12 bulbs. I bought 2 40w bulbs (that also state T12 on the box) and I just can't get them to work. One bulb falls out pretty easily and I can't get them to light. Very frustrating! Suggestions?

Thank you for any help!

Comments (6)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    17 years ago

Is there a little pull chain switch at the end of the fixture?

dcarch

• zkpr01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, pulling the chain = nada.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    17 years ago

If the ballast works, one of the two tubes should lit.
    If the ballast is not working, then the fixture is not good anymore.
    Possibly the pull-chain switch is broken. If you are handy in this kind of things, try by passing the switch.

dcarch

• annebert
    17 years ago

I 'm not convinced the light is bad. With some inexpensive shoplights, you have to push in on the ends so the bulbs fit snugly enough to make a good connection when you twist them in to place. The fact that a bulb is falling out indictes to me that that is your problem. Did you realize that you need to line up the pins on the end of the bulb with the slot on the fixture, slide them in, and then twist? The problem is, once you've pulled the chain a couple of times, you're not sure if it's on or off!

A good way to approach this is to lay the fixture on its back (on a chair is convenient) and plug it in. Push in on each end. Then carefully insert and twist each bulb in to see if you can get at least one to light (indicating that the switch is on). If one lights, then twist the other until it does so, too. If you can't get either to light, pull the chain once, then try again.

I just bought 2 Lights of America shoplights for which I had to perform this routine.

• zkpr01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes! Thank you annebert. I had no idea how to install the bulbs and am a bit prone to breaking things, so I was afraid of twisting the bulbs.

• christianl
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Here's my 2 cents, to add-on a bit more to this thread...

I just bought this shoplight too, also from HomeDep, (this one, right?) and plan on overdriving it with the help of instructions found here (thanks to all for posting this great info and especially to Zink).

It is a cool 48" model, made of thin shiny metal (aluminium or cheap steel?) with a very reflective surface. So, no need to add mylar to the inside relector! And it's angled so it does reflect quite a lot right under the bulbs (T8). It has a pull chain indeed and is an instant start. I'm sure that once overdriven, using two of these, side to side and with good bulbs and optimizing the reflector's angle, I'll be able to light a fire under there! hehehe ;)

I'll let you know how it goes with the overdriving and maybe post some pictures of the specific how-to for this model...

Here's more specific info on the unit:

Brand: Lithonia (a division of Acuity Lighting Group) (LightAHome.com)
    Name: Worklight Diamond Plate (a cheapo/very light version of diamond plate)
    Characteristics: 4 feet (48"), T8 bulbs, shiny reflector, pull chain switch, Instant start, 5 feet black power cord.
    Price: $39.95 (Canadian$) (not on sale, at Home Depot)
    Model number: 1241 DP GESB
    C.I. Code: 104 XYX
    Ballast: AccuPro Electronic, Instant Start, Model # AP-RC-232IP-120-1
    PICTURE:
    {{gwi:1022144}}

The reflector was a piece of cake to remove (2 screws), to enable inspecting the innards, and I'm sure it'll be easy to add another ballast in there and overdrive.

I did find out something to note though, and I'm not quite sure if this will hinder the overdring operation, but I doubt it.
    Contrarily to the first diagram on the overdriving instructions, the sockets have only ONE connecting point (the latter having two Wire Insert Slots, however, so that should make it feasable). I'll figure out the wiring and will let you know when it's done.

PS: my setup is to grow seeds and prepare the seedlings for outside transplant in May (Zone 5a, though these days, with climate change, you never know...)

Cheers and happy gardening!

-ChrisL