Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobb_2002

Need cheap chrome wire shelves 24 x 48

bobb_2002
19 years ago

Hi,

I am outgrowing the table where I start seeds in the garage, and I would like to buy some inexpensive wire shelf units (chrome plated) to give me more space. There are a few places like Costco, Sam's Club, Lowe's, etc. that sell commercial shelf systems (sometimes on castors) for under $80. They are usually 4 to 6 shelves and anywhere from 60 to 75 inches tall. The problem is that they are almost always 18 in. deep, which I think is an inconvenient size for starting seeds. Seed flats tend to be about 11 x 21 so you can only fit 2 per 18 x 48 in. shelf, unless you put 4 of them sideways and let them hang over the edge. If they hang over then the plants on the ends won't get much light. A 24 x 48 shelf would be much better because there could be 4 flats per shelf with a little room to spare.

Does anyone know where I could get a cheap 24 x 48 system? The cheapest I have seen is from globalindustries.com but they want $168 plus shipping. Is there a better source somewhere?

Bob B.

Comments (14)

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

My Father picked up a whole bunch of wire racks at a going-out-of-business sale once upon a time.

I still have some around. You could look for wire racks from old refrigerators... barbecue grills...

Office Supply stores ?

Or when you're bored with that, you can build your own system.

(I happened to have metal shelves that are 17 x 48 so I used them with a timber frame).

You'll need 2x4's or 2x3's, some screws, glue, and hardware cloth, the 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch square grid type.

Sketch out a design for a timber frame, whack it together with 3 inch screws and Gorilla glue, and when it's done use the hardware cloth for the shelves.

I suggest using enough 2x3's to run lengthways for support every 12 inches so the hardware cloth won't droop between the studs.

If you like, I could draft up a plan for you with parts list... for a consideration.

• maineman
    19 years ago

Bob,

I have a couple of these Tall Chrome Carts that I purchased from Northern Tool. (One last year and another one this year.) I use them as plant stands by hanging fluorescent shoplights from the shelves. The shelves are sturdy and very portable with really big heavy-duty caster wheels.

MM

• sonnypippo
    19 years ago

how about plywood? a 2'x4' piece costs ~$5.

• gbrendemuehl
    19 years ago

Costco used to carry a 24" deep unit ( I bought one), but apparently they don't any more. I also found some deeper units (22" - 24") at Menards for around $60.

• rokal
    19 years ago

Home Depot in my area has 48" L x 24" W x 72" H steel shelves. I think the price was $77.00. The frame is steel but the shelves are particle board.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

My local HD has the same racks in black or chrome for $55-60.

Sam

• rokal
    19 years ago

I noticed that someone on the "Growing From Seed" fourm has a picture of the shelf system sold at Home Depot that I was referring to. Here is a link to the thread...

light stands

Scroll down to the 8th post which was made by Cynthia.

• bobb_2002
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, they all have their advantages. It's certainly tempting to make wooden shelves or buy steel shelf units with wooden shelves, but I really like the chrome wire look. The airiness of it makes it look less overpowering in size, and I think the air and light circulation would be better. And if it has wheels I can roll it outside for hardening off.

The link to Northern that MM supplied is really what I'm looking for and it's cheaper than the Global shelves. But when I add $50 for shipping I have to decide if I really want to spend the money. Home Depot has some chrome and black wire shelves but nothing in a 24 x 48 size. I wish I had a Menard's in the area but no luck. There are a few lucky people who got racks from bakers going out of business, but that's something that you just fall into by luck.

I'll try Costco again tomorrow to see if they have any 24" deep units. If not I might settle for the Costco 18 x 48 or else I'll buy the Northern one.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Bob B

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Bobb, I know the shelving at my HD is 24"x48"(I have one in my pantry). WOnder why yours has only the smaller version...

Sam

• ceresone
    19 years ago

got mine from meek lumber, online

• freefour
    19 years ago

I wanted the exact same thing but found all chrome shelves too expensive! (plus most were flimsy)

I ended up buying 2 - 30" wide 5 shelf sturdy plastic storage shelving units from wallymart for $20 a piece. These units are designed to connect to each other and make a single shelving unit. Basically, one shelf slides into the next shelf horizontally. With my 48" shoplight in the middle, it leaves me 6" on either side to put stuff (like a fan). When totally assembled the whole unit is VERY sturdy and can be picked up as one unit and moved very easy. Plus, it take 5 minutes to totally take everything down and store during the summer.

Best of all--I only have $40 in it and no shipping costs!

--freefour

• bobb_2002
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Sam, my HD only has the 18 inch deep wire shelves although they have ones with solid shelves that are deeper. The people there say they don't have a way to special order them so I can't look it up in a catalog to see if they have something different.

Ceresone, I checked meeks online and couldn't find any wire shelf units that were 24 inches deep, only 18 inches.

Freefour, your idea is appealing but I will have trouble with anything wider than 48 inches although the plastic is certainly cheap and would be rust resistant if I ever put it in my hoophouse.

Bob B

• maineman
    19 years ago

Bob,

"The link to Northern that MM supplied is really what I'm looking for and it's cheaper than the Global shelves. But when I add $50 for shipping I have to decide if I really want to spend the money."

I guess it's moot if you now have 18-inch shelves, but the shipping is free at Northern for orders of $150 or more. And they have free shipping offers on lesser items from time to time. I have bought repeatedly from Northern and always managed to avoid paying any shipping. I recently ordered (and received) another set of the 24-inch 4-foot shelves at $129.99 and brought the order up to the free shipping level by purchasing another item that I needed. Since it cost considerably less than $50 it was, in effect, "free", because the total order cost less than if I hadn't bought it. Actually, they were paying me to take the item. (grin)

MM

• bobb_2002
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MM,
    Thanks for the info about the Northern shipping. I bought the Costco 18 by 48 unit this week but I might be interested in expanding next year (but I have to clean out my garage first).

Bob B