Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optimal LED lights for Spinach and Strawberries

Posted by RichardU none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 0:24

I am interested in using LED lights for 30-40 square feet of Spinach and Strawberries. I understand that LEDs don't have much throw, so I will need multiple fixtures for that many plants. I would love to know what people think would be the optimal design. This is for an area that gets almost no natural light.

Thanks, Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optimal LED lights for Spinach and Strawberries

Dont wanna put you off, nut unless you got practical experiences with LEDs, theyre not what you think...as you mentionned, light penetration is very weak, and leds are not as efficient as manufacturers claim, barely reaching the 50 lumen per watt mark.

Youd be much better off with metal halide or hps, the lumen per watt ratio is much better and so is light penetration. And the lights are much cheaper....bonus if you can find who the cops sell equipement seized from marijuana growers....i have a place that sells me 1000w hps magnetic ballasts for 60$ and sylvania brand new bulbs cost around 35$...thats some serious power for 95$...

o
RE: Optimal LED lights for Spinach and Strawberries

I am going to use my 6 Hydro Grow LED 50W Penetrators and then depending on the flowering those lights produce I may switch our to 126W Penetrators. I think you should go with 100W LED light which help to you a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here