Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newinva

basic advice

newinva
19 years ago

hi,

i just need basic advice. i want a simple way to start my seeds in the winter months to transplant later. i have small spotlights now, and the trays always flip over (killing my plants, and driving me crazy!)

i'm looking for something inexpensive and simple, and don't even know where to start.

thanks,

cheryl

Comments (5)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Spotlights? Probably no good. Incandescent and halogen bulbs are too weak and too hot. Fluorescent lights are the way to go, compact fluorescents if you only need to light a small area.

Trays shouldn't flip over. Are you balancing them on something precarious? Many people start seeds in trays without trouble. I have flipped them over carrying them without looking where I'm going, but then I'm a dumb klutz :)

• ceresone
    19 years ago

you didnt say what kind of seeds--but have you tried the winter sowing forum? its fantastic, so many good, easy, ideas

• newinva
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for your thoughts.
    i'm starting (or trying to start) broccoli, peas and greens. I've been using a growing light, but it's just 50 watts, and I don't know how much that can or can't do. i can try fluourescent lights, can i just use any kind of bulb, or is there a special kind i should go for?

thanks again,

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

Just use regular cool white bulbs. Suspend them from a chain. I have a fancy light setup but my overflow shoplights (for when my setup is full) are screwed under the coffee table in the basement, on chains.

Peas and greens don't need lights. Just plant them directly in the ground.

• kbug
    19 years ago

i have shop lites from lowe's that cost about 12 bucks a piece. then over in the chain section they cut me chain as long as i want it. i have a main area where i have my lites hung but usually run out of space as i grow more each year. last year i pulled a drawer out and hooked the long chain attached to the lite over the drawer and put my plants under. then one year i ran out of room and hung my lites from the hanger bar in my husbands extra closet (he was a little mad) and put my plants in there.
    oops. i strayed off subject.
    cheap.......i thought the shop lites for 12 bucks were cheap. and of course the chain which runs a few bucks a piece. containers....well, i use cheap plastic throw away cups. but have been known to use anything in my kitchen empty at the time of seed sowing. i have used tupperware, cake pans, you name it, it has grown it! once i get on a roll planting stuff i can't stop to go to the store if i run out of cups.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996