Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmbrown88

Starting tomato seeds in unheated garage??

bmbrown88
15 years ago

NEWBIE!!!!! right now I have some tomato seeds germinating on top of the refrigerator and I was wondering if this setup would work in a unheated garage... I live just outside of Memphis,Tn and the weather can be nice like right now where its in the 70-80s during the day and in the 60s at night but then sometimes we get a cold snap and it can hit the low 30s like last weekend when we had snow!! go figure...

{{gwi:223921}}

I'm going to be adding another light I just want to give yall an idea what it looks like... Thanks for any help in advance

Comments (6)

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Should work fine, the big question isn't how cold it gets outside the garage, it's how cold it gets inside. If it's an attached garage you probably get a few degrees warmer regardless. Add in a little heat from the lights and you oughta be able to stave off actual freezing temps.

A space heater is a simple way to make sure on that, though. You don't have to turn it up enough to make it actually warm, just not freezing cold.

Folks have been doing this exactly like you are for a long time. On nice days you can open up the garage doors and bring the seedlings out for some sunlight. That's a good way to harden them off too.

• Karen Pease
    15 years ago

Hey, if you want more light *and* heat, there are ample ways to kill two birds with one stone here ;) Pack the area full of lights and your seedlings will be thrilled. Just don't go overboard and fry them! :)

• bubba62
    15 years ago

I have a garage setup, and I reverse the day/night cycle to provide extra heat at night and allow cooling during the day year round. Works well for me - I started tomatoes yesterday, but grow hundreds of other things continuously.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

That does work, running the lights at night, but if you've got any windows or anything that lets light out your neighbors might get the wrong idea and think you're growing "something else".

Not everyone knows a tomato plant when they see it.

• bubba62
    15 years ago

You're right - I get that question a lot. I'm kind of a boring guy, so I enjoy the notoriety. I'm tempted to grow a few cleomes, castor beans, or Hibiscus coccineus seedlings in there just to pique their curiosity, but I grow those outside, instead!

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

I hadn't thought of that, I might try that out myself. Unfortunately people would probably call the cops around here.

Castor beans are fun, I love those things. Definitely not an indoor plant, that one. Though I have given it as one... to someone I did not like at all.