Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popepaul_gw

I need your help on growing Tomatoes from seed

popepaul
19 years ago

I have never grown tomato plants from seed before now. I made the decision that if I always wanted to plant the types of tomatoes I wanted and not settle for what was available I would have to grow my own. I have a number of questions that I was hoping the more experienced members can help me with.

1) I bought a Fast-Grow propagation mat. The packaging that it came in said that you should use a "soil sensing thermostat" with it. Is that true or can I just use the mat? I am hoping that I donÂt have to buy another piece of equipment.

2) I am planning on using 3" square peat pots. Should I start the seeds in the 3" pots or should I start them in a smaller size and later repot them?

3) I am planning on starting them under fluorescent shop lights in the garage. The temperature in the garage will be around 45-55 degrees at night. Since I will use a propagation mat, will I be ok with the cooler temperatures.

4) I was thinking of building a wood frame with plastic sheeting on it to put around the seed trays to help hold in the heat. Is this a good idea or will it be too warm.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County