Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsb22_gw

Rookie planted too soon...lights to keep vines healthy until May

dsb22
13 years ago

I've been gardening for 6 years but this is the first time I've ever started anything from seed. I realized too late that my heat mat would speed up germination from what was indicated on the seed package. My hyacinth bean vine seeds germinated in 4 days. Right now (three weeks later) they're about 5" tall (including the pot) and growing pretty quickly.

I'd like to find a fairly inexpensive way to give them enough light until our last frost date in mid-May. My current, regular fluorescent, light set up will work until they get to ~18". After that--I'm thinking of putting them in front of a large, east-facing window that gets northern light as well, supplemented with a compact fluorescent plant light. I'm looking at a "Feliz 125 Watt Compact Fluorescent Daylight 6500K Replacement Bulb" in a "Compact Fluorescent Cord Set w/Socket for Vertical Hanging" from http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmcompactfluorescents.htm. Would that generate sufficient light for 12 plants? How far from plants should a light like this be? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help

Deanna

Comments (16)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Forget that light - far too expensive! You can buy 105-125 watt CFL bulbs for $20-30 and you can use a cheap, clip-on type of reflector. Each bulb will cover about 4 sq. ft.

Mike

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help. I have found a 125 CFL on Amazon for $30 incl shipping. Could you point me towards the type of reflector you're referring to? All the reflectors I'm finding are running at least $40 with shipping, and don't seem to be clip on.

Deanna

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Here's one at lowes similar to the ones he's talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: work light

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Yep, that's the one. You might even find one cheaper without the clip if you don't need it.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

That's probably the higher end model but they can be found for around $5.

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aha. Thanks!! I saw one of those but got scared off by the bulb type = "incandescent" in the specs. Would this type of clamp take a "Medium" base bulb? The CFL I found on Amazon says "Mogul base fixture required", but I've found a similar CFL at 1000bulbs with a "Medium (E26)" base.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I know the bulbs from 1000bulbs work - that's where I got mine from! If you or someone in your family is a bit handy with tools, you can make a "grow chamber" really cheaply. Use a piece of plywood or something similar for the top, add the electrical fixtures, paint the bottom of the top flat white and drape mylar or foil over the sides. If you want to get real fancy, add eyehooks in the corners of the tops and then you can raise or lower it as you see fit!

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

There are plenty of bulbs out there with the medium base.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000bulbs

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, so at least some medium base CFLs can work with incandescent fixtures. That link goes to the exact light I was looking at.

Mike, now that's a cool coincidence! Thanks for the grow chamber tip too. I am scrutinizing our house for more growing areas! here's my current set up (in our basement guest bedroom) that I managed to do from reading on here. I already had the shelf but I think it was only $25 at Walmart. The lights were $15 each at Lowe's. (That was the best deal I could find for 2' lights.) The aluminum foil is wrapped around pieces of sheet insulation. I'm planning to add another light to the top shelf and more lights to the bottom shelf when I need to expand.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

If those are the same lights I have (portfolio) they are 21" with 18" bulbs and you'd do better with cool white bulbs when those burn out. I used to use those on my terrariums but have switched to the 23" T5s (21" bulbs)for $10 ea. at walmart. Cheaper/much smaller/more light/less power use. I have 6 of them over a terrarium containing carnivorous plants. They color up nicely with these lights telling me I'm not far off from the natural light they would receive in situ.
    Looks like you've got a good start but you'll need at least 4 lights per shelf if you plan on utilizing the space.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Actually I would change the bulbs right away. Those P&A bulbs put out a lot less light than daylight bulbs. Find some in the 4100-6500k range. The fixtures will work but they are still a little expensive for a single bulb. I'd look into the T5s I mentioned or double bulb fixtures. You can probably get the doubles for less than $30 ea.

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'm actually headed to Lowe's in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure that they are Portfolios. They were marketed as plant lights. I wanted regular fluorescents but couldn't find 2' fixtures. When I purchased them, the clerk said I could replace the bulbs with regular fluorescents. Was waiting til they burned out--but if I replace with daylight 4100-6500k could I get away with say only 3 to a shelf?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

You probably could but just make sure the seedlings are as close to the lights as you can get without touching them. They could probably touch them for a short while but I've found that it will desiccate the leaves if they touch too long. I've had them touching for up to a couple hours from a growth spurt. My lights are now overdriven so touching them for a short while will desiccate the leaves now. Look for the bulbs with the highest lumen output which would probably be around 1000-1200 lumen for an 18".

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, that's good to know. I went to Lowes. The current lights are Utilitech "T8 Fluorescent Plant Grow Light". Package says the bulb is "F15T8-PL-AQ/120v." Does that change anything as far as your suggestions? (Can't find any indication of lumen output on the package. They don't seem to be on Lowes.com or I'd link to them.)

I did find a couple of replacement T8s where the packages listed the color temp as 4100k (cool white) and 6500k (daylight). On the plus side, they were only $6.48 each. However the lumen output was only 825 lumen for the 18" cool white and 700 lumen for the 18" daylight.

The 18" cool white is also missing from lowes.com, but the daylight one is there.

GE Daylight 15-Watt T8 Fluorescent 18" Bulb
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_196250-371-85154_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1229501&UserSearch=85154&Ntt=85154&N=0amp;langId=-1&storeId=10151

I can get to Walmart tomorrow or Saturday and see what they have.

Thanks for all the help
    Deanna

• dsb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well no luck at Walmart but called the manufacturer/distributor of the current lights, goodearthlighting. I was told that they have a lumen output of 1400. I'm a bit skeptical but think I'll see how my seedlings do with 3 lights/shelf while I keep looking for 18" replacement bulbs with ~1000 lumen output.

I'm also removing the diffusers on the current fixtures after finding an old post on here saying that that's no problem and will get more lights to the plants. (Someone please let me know if it's actually a fire hazard or something.)

Thanks for all the help, it's been greatly appreciated.

Deanna

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Well I replied yesterday but it's not here. I think your grow lights come from the same manufacturer even if it's in a different box. Many lights are made in China and packaged differently for different distributors. Yes taking the diffusers off is a good idea. They do filter out some light. You can wait and see how your plants do with those lights but if they start getting leggy then change to the 4100k and/or add another light. My lumen rating was just an estimate but I doubt your plant bulbs are really putting out 1400 lumen. I switched because of the elongation.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!