Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepitlow

Growing lettuce indoors

keepitlow
15 years ago

Anyone grow lettuce inside? What varieties do you grow? How does it come out compared to growing outdoors?

Comments (22)

• wordwiz
    15 years ago

I'm growing some in an office window but in a hydro (DWC) system. Fantastic taste and fast growth. This fall/next winter I'll have a double wide window set aside just for lettuce, tomato and green beans.

Mike

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

In many places it's far easier to grow lettuce indoors. Where I live it gets too hot or too cold most of the time for lettuce to do well, and when the temperatures are good the bugs eat most of anything I try to grow outdoors.

Inside you can keep the plants happy and healthy without pesticides. There isn't really a downside.

• rokal
    15 years ago

I've been growing many varieties of loose leaf lettuce under florescent lights with great results. A fresh, home grown salad in the dead of winter really helps cure the winter blues.

Regard,

Rokal

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Rokal, what lights are you using? I was wondering if my cool FL would be good for this after the tomatos are all outside.

• rokal
    15 years ago

rj_hythloday,

I use T-8 fixtures with cool white bulbs. Cool whites are perfect for lettuce since we are interested in vegetative growth.

Rokal

• amprice
    15 years ago

I just enjoyed my first "salad" from lettuce grown inside. I bought plastic rubbermaid shoe boxes with lids. I punched holes in the bottom and set them on the lid to use as a bottom water tray added a good potting soil, spread some seed of buttercrunch lettuce and ta da! well ok it took a little longer than that but not much. For lights I just had the WalMart grow lights at $10 each. I only did it to see if I could and it was well worth the effort tonight.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Great news! Thanks for the replies. I'm already thinking of things to save for growing. I washed a large cool whip container today, I'm thinking it's a good size for one head.

Amprice how many do you grow in the shoe box size?

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Walmart Grow lights? What are those?

I wouldn't buy a light at Walmart that was listed as a "grow light" or "plant light" - they're at best an overpriced CFL and at worst a useless bulb. Just get the biggest CFLs you can find an you'll do fine growing lettuce.

Also, I don't recommend "head" lettuce. Get the leafy types like Simpsons, Grand Rapids, and Romaines. That way you can harvest leaves from the bottom as it grows and have fresh salads for weeks rather than waiting weeks to get one head of lettuce. Plus, the nutritional value is higher and the head types aren't as easy to grow.

• derek-grow
    15 years ago

i've had a lettuce bed inside under a 400 wat mh light all winter. man that is the way to go!! i would just clip leaves off of them and let the roots keep going. in under a week you'd never know i had cut anything off of them. i made alot of b.l.t.'s out of tomato's and lettuce from my indoor garden this year.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Right on, I've eaten a ton of salads this year from tomatoes and lettuce. I still buy croutons and carrots and such to round out the salad, but the main staples are all home-grown year-round.

• fixitguy_astound_net
    14 years ago

I am growing herbs and lettuce hydro/aeroponically in a setup I reverse-engineered from a widely-marketed countertop model. I have tried two varieties of butterhead lettuce (Buttercrunch & Tom Thumb). They grow abundantly, but neither is nearly crisp enough, even when fresh-plucked. Also, rather than growing as heads, the leaves sprout from stems which seek the lights (a few inches above) and then become long and wander as I raise the CFL's to avoid scorching them. Numerous stems emerge from the approx. 12 seeds I implant in each growpod (which measures 1" deep x 1-1/2" diam).

I'm wondering whether: a) I am overwatering (1 min spray on, 4 mins off); or, b) the growpods are too small to support even a single head, much less multiple heads from too many seeds per pod?

Can anyone recommend a different variety (head or leaf) which will produce a crispy leaf rather than the limp leaves I'm getting? Or is my problem not the variety of lettuce but my growing technique?

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I used Black Simpson or Simpson Elite (can't recall exactly).

Mike

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Is mid-50's too cold for growing lettuce under fluorescent lights during the winter months?

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

No, but it would do better with a bit warmer temps.

Mike

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I grew lettuce quite well under standard (T-12) fluorescent tubes in individual 4" or 5" clay pots. With a dozen plants, you can pick a salad every week or so.

• horseflysgarden
    13 years ago

I posted my little seedlings maybe a week ago... I'm not sure, but I thought I would update some of the pics here...

The first is my Black Simpson. Multiple true leaves. I have these under 24/7 light.

The first 3 pics are of Black Simpson.

The last 3 are of my Mesclun Mix... 2nd image shows really cool looking true leaves and they are littered throughout the plot. Shouldn't be long now. The other 2 pics just show general growth.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

~ HFG

{{gwi:235356}}

{{gwi:235357}}

{{gwi:235358}}

{{gwi:235359}}

{{gwi:235360}}

{{gwi:235361}}

• indoorgardener69
    13 years ago

I converted a plastic storage box to a grow box. It has a light fixture on the lid, a couple of fans for ventilation and lined with foil. I use a couple of cfl's for light. It works great. I am growing a variety of Bibb lettuce called Butterhead in it.

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Indoorgardener69 - it would be great if you could post some pictures of your setup!

• merrybookwyrm
    13 years ago

Is 70F to 75F too hot for growing lettuce? We have people with temperature issues, and it never gets cooler than this in the house. Some instructions for growing lettuce inside I read state the temps need to stay cooler than 70F. Thank you.

• davehydro
    11 years ago

Can anyone help me clearify,...i germinated some ruby red lettuce seeds, they went find until they got up to a certain height, at that point the middle of its stem seemed to sqeeze together thus making the stem weak enough for it to fall over and die...im at a loss for what i am doing wrong..I germinated in rockwool and am trying to get them ready for hydroponics...thank you...Dave

• davehydro
    11 years ago

As far as i can tell at this time my lettuce crop filure is do to added PH.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Dave, could be a fungal infection, too. Look up "damp off".