Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daily cost of T-12

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 9:44

I have 8 4' double bulb T-12 lights going 24x7 in the basement.

Could someone give me an indicatication of the daily cost of running a single 40 watt 2 bulb 4' fixture 24x7 for a month?

Thanks

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daily cost of T-12

Costs equal total watts used divided by 10,000 if your electricity is 10 per kilowatt hour.

Mike

o

Your electric rate may vary, but at an average rate of 10/kWh you'd be looking at ~80W * 24 hours * 30 days / 1000 * $0.10 = $5.76 per month. Running eight fixtures would be around $46 per month.

Is there a reason you're running them 24 hours a day?

o

penfold2,

Under the premise that more must be better since the plants aren't getting sunlight equivalents.

Am I causing harm?

Andrew

o

Plants also need a rest period. If you are only running them 24 hours for a couple months until they will go outside then that would be ok for most plants but not all.

o

Some power companies have gradually increasing charges per KWH the more you use. Running fourteen 32 watt tubes pushed me into the 24 cents per KWH excess usage bracket and increased my bill by about $20 a month, and that was using them only about six hours a day, and putting my plants out on the patio in the sun the rest of the time, or letting them sleep indoors. My basic electric charge is 12 cents per KWH.

o

Don't overlook the power consumption of ballasts. I just recently noticed that my ballasts made by Advance Electric Co. run much hotter than those made by Westinghouse. Obviously, not all ballasts are created equal, but usually an extra 10% power consumption is assumed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here