Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capillary matting alternative _Would this work?

Posted by pagenie (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 9:55

I am wondering if non-woven interfacing (found in sewing stores) would work to keep my seedlings moist. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Is it like burlap?

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the non-woven interfacing. I looked it up on the internet, but I can't tell how it would compare to capillary matting.

I did find one reference in a garden book that I just bought of using burlap for capillary moisture for seedlings. Can you get some of that?

If you already have the non-woven interfacing, it wouldn't hurt to try it. I made an experimental setup of a growing tray, plastic mesh, and seedling trays to try the capillary matting I bought. I used the diagrams off the Gardener's supply company for their pre-fab kits. Just set the trays on top of a layer of the fabric and dip an end of the fabric into a water reservoir. The only thing is to make sure that some of the soil mix in each tray contacts the fabric. If everything is working, within a few hours the soil mix should be damp. From then on you should be "golden."

Feel free to ask any questions! Like everything else in life, it's trickiest when you first start it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Capillary matting instructions

o
RE: Capillary matting alternative _Would this work?

You can use almost any absorbant material as a capillary watering system. You might have to experiment a little to find something that isn't too absorbant but still brings up the water. Many suitable materials will decompose after a long period constantly wet. You can also use string as individual pot capillary waterers, just get the string embedded in the soil through a hole in the bottom of the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here