Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_oddity

Older MH Light

organic_oddity
14 years ago

I just picked up an older version of this light for an insane deal ($40 with light). Aside from a thought of replacing the light (just growing lettuce for now), I'm looking to hack it if possible. For example, it does not have the aluminum reflector (I have a piece of sheet metal just laying around, can I bend that in?), it doesn't have hangers (not a problem, I'll make those myself), and doesn't do HPS. What can I do to make improvements to this light? Also - how much heat does it generate? How far away should I keep it from flammable objects? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi...
    just a suggestion...instead of using heavy sheet metal, try using heavy aluminum foil...its alot lighter...linda

• organic_oddity
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A definite possibility, though I already have the sheet metal, so as long as I'm not making things "worse", I'll most likely just stick with that.

• penfold2
    14 years ago

I think a reflector would be the best thing you could add. I would line the sheet metal with aluminum foil unless it's already polished to a shine. Dull sheet metal might make a worse reflector than the white fixture itself.

As for the heat, you can judge it with your hand after it's turned on. When I ran a 250W MH, I kept it at least a foot from my plants. Any closer than that, and I could feel the heat with my hand. A fan blowing under the light may help with this as well.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Is your bulb an Agrosun and, if not, what brand and model is it?

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

This is the spectrum of Agrosun MH:

This is the spectrum of Eye Hortilux Blue MH:

This is the spectrum of a regular MH, Sylvania Metal Arc:

You can buy regular MH bulbs for as little as $10 here.

Notice that compared to Eye Hortilux Blue, the other two MH are low in far red above 700 nm. I can tell you from experience that adding incandescent to Sylvania Metal Arc, greatly improves growth, presumably because of increased far red light.

For either 250 watt Agrosun or regular MH, I suggest that you test adding a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Here is the spectral density chart of Philips Ceramic Metal Halide which many other people claim is very good:

Note there is substantial far red light. This bulb must be used with an HPS ballast.

• organic_oddity
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - I'm not sure what type of bulb I have, and am sure I need another one. I have three T-8 fixtures (two 2' and one 18") that I'm planning on using for supplemental if needed, though I'm hesitant to buy anything more than hanging accessories, heavy duty tin foil (for a reflector), and an emergency blanket (mylar). This is still just lettuce, and proof of concept for the next ~45 days. If things go well, I might be able to take my little 18"x32" plot and double it's size.

I am slightly nervous about the heat coming off this lamp from a "it's near a wooden shelf and how far away from the wood should I have it?" perspective. Again, with a 250 Watt MH, what is your recommendation? I have fans that can blow on both the plants and the light.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Isn't the brand and model written on the bulb?

I suggest you keep HID and incandescent bulbs away from combustibles. The outside surface of some halogen incandescent bulbs is reputedly hot enough to start a fire.