Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarzi

Home Depot has a sale on

scarzi
19 years ago

Bought up a bunch of the #904-142 four foot shop lights for $4.48 last night!

Comments (8)

• maineman
    19 years ago

The overdrivable Home Depot fixtures that I have been using are 140-904 (also on sale, but over $6). Do you know if your #904-142 fixtures are overdrivable?

MM

• scarzi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was trying to remember the number but got it wrong. Indeed it is your number, and they were over $6 a few weeks ago, but last night they were only $4.49 when I checked out. I did over deive the first one I got snused the T8 bulbs. I noticed them getting a little dark at the ends already. How long will they last?

• lightmaster
    19 years ago

"I noticed them getting a little dark at the ends already. How long will they last?"

I have a feeling that they are by Philips. I never have a lot of luck with them. I can buy a package of ten and one will go out in a week. But the others will last much longer, usually four months.

I am now using Sylvania and GE from lowes for three months...none show any blackening.

-j-

• sonnypippo
    19 years ago

wow, great price. might have to pick some up for my next setup.

• naturemitch
    19 years ago

Hi,

Last week, on account of a tip from I think the tomato growing forum, I went to Home Depot and bought all that they had of 140-904 light bars. They were clearanced out and I got mine for $4.06.

The sales clerk said they were replacing with a diff. stock number and of course with a higher price. So, if what I heard is true you should check out H.D. before you miss out on the clearance sale.

P.S. the lights were not marked as clearance or showed any sale tags on them...when I asked they said 5 bucks and when I checked out they rang up as 4.06.

I walked out mighty happy:)))))

good luck
    m

• maineman
    19 years ago

Mitch,

"I went to Home Depot and bought all that they had of 140-904 light bars. They were clearanced out and I got mine for $4.06."

You did the right thing to buy them all. Our Home Depot has already cleared out the 140-904s here in the Augusta area and replaced them with 732-334 models priced at $7.98. I bought one of the new ones but haven't opened it yet to see if it is overdriveable. The new fixture may be somewhat better for plant stands, in that its reflectors don't stick out quite so far so the fixture is a bit narrower. It is also a bit deeper. I haven't determined yet whether the narrower configuration will let you get an extra fixture over a 24" x 48" shelf. I get four of the 140-904s over a shelf. It would be great if you could get five of the 732-334s over a shelf, providing, of course, that they are overdriveable.

MM

• cherie_zone5
    19 years ago

OK...color me stupid but what is "overdrivable"?

• maineman
    19 years ago

Cherie,

Some fluorescent fixtures with certain electronic ballasts can be rewired to use two ballasts instead of one. That applies more power to the bulbs and they emit 50% more light, which is much brighter. Plants respond to the extra light with faster, healthier growth. I lot of people who grow plants under fluorescent fixtures are modifying their fixtures to overdrive their bulbs. A user here, Zink, introduced a lot of us to overdriving. The original message thread was so popular that it grew to the 100-message limit and has since been taken off the forum. But you can find all of the original information in links that are given in the subsequent I have found the BEST cheap flourescent ballast/fixture - cont'd. message thread, which was started to get around the 100-message limit.

I feel that I owe Zink a debt of gratitude. His overdriving information revolutionized my indoor gardening.

MM

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner