Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakbas147

Home Depot Commercial Electric 140-904 Availability

oakbas147
19 years ago

I have looked all over the SF bay area for these lights but have come up empty. Their replacement, the Lithonia 1233 is apparently only compatible with T12's. Any advice?

-Thanks

Doug

Comments (8)

• maineman
    19 years ago

Doug,

I think their replacement is the Commercial Electric 732-334 ShopLight. It also takes T8 or T12 bulbs, like the 140-904s did. The fixture is narrower and a bit deeper. The sample I bought was labelled ominously HBSL-16 on the box, as compared to HBSL-15 on the 140-904s, but upon opening the fixture (the 732-334s come pre-assembled in the box except for the chains) I was delighted to find a Sunpark SL15 ballast, which is the same model number and wiring layout as in the 140-904s. The reflector on the 732-334 is 5 inches wide, as compared with the 6-inch width of the 140-904s, which, depending on your viewpoint, could be a good thing.

Unless they switch the ballast to the Sunpark SL16 (which I am afraid they will do, based on the HBSL-16 code on the box) this is an overdriveable fixture that sells for about the same as the 140-904s did before they went on sale to clear them out. I actually prefer the form factor of the 732-334s to the 140-904s for close placement of the fixtures over plant trays. The power cord comes out the end of the 732-334 and the chains hook into the fixture much closer to the ends of the fixture.

Have your local Home Depot do a product search for the 140-904s because at the clearance price of $4.46 or less they are a super bargain. But as long as they are putting Sunpark SL-15 ballasts in the 732-334s, they are a credible overdriveable replacement for the soon-to-be-extinct 140-904s.

MM

• maineman
    19 years ago

Doug,

I said the 732-334s were a bit deeper than the 140-904s. It is the box that is deeper. The assembled fixture itself is actually essentially the same depth as the assembled 140-904. The 732-334s are noticeably lighter in weight than the 140-904s, because they have significantly less sheet metal in them.

And you do need to do a little assembly beyond just attaching the chains. You also have to pull out the little "tombstone" bulb end connectors until they snap into place. That should take a few seconds.

MM

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the replies

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MM, Is there a phone number or address of Commercial Electric on the box?
    -Doug

• maineman
    19 years ago

Doug,

"Is there a phone number or address of Commercial Electric on the box?"

There is no phone number on the boxes for either model number. It does say that "Commercial Electric is a registered trademark of Homer TLC, Inc." The 140-904 boxes give this address:

Commercial Electric
    2455 Paces Ferry Road NW
    Atlanta, GA 30339

That address is also Home Depot's address, so apparently Commercial Electric and Home Depot are very closely related. The ballasts say SUNPARK, Torrance, CA so I suspect SUNPARK is a separate company that supplies ballasts to Commercial Electric.

The assembly instructions give a Customer Service phone number of 1-800-345-0542

MM

• rokal
    19 years ago

oakbas147,

If you strike out, you could always order online from homedepot.com. The price online is $7.25.

Commercial Electric 4 Ft. Shop LightModel HBSL-15
    Internet/Catalog 162474
    Store SKU # 140 904

• mrja
    16 years ago

Hi there; from what I can gather I'm probably in good shape, but, I wanted to check here to see if I can safely drive the T8 lamps I picked up in these 732-334 fixtures. MaineMan mentioned the ballast in these may be different "eventually," thus challenging the reliability of the configuration.

All the best, and thanks in advance!

-Matt

• maineman
    16 years ago

Matt,

I'm driving Philips Cool White T8s successfully in my 732-334s, with no trouble beginning in my third year of use. The Philips Cool White T8s have a color temperature of 4100°K and a rated life of 20,000 hours. I have been getting mine in boxes of 10 for $19.95 per box at Home Depot, so the individual tubes cost about $2 each.

MM

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz