Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisafrommaryland

grow light kits

lisafrommaryland
11 years ago

Will this type of set up work ok for tomato seeds? There is also a set up called jump start that uses 4 foot T5 lighting I believe.

I have grown all of my vegetables from seed for the past 3 years with success simply using a cheap 4 tier greenhouse. I leave my plants out in it during the day, and take them inside @ night until it gets warmer. After reading many posts on here, it looks like I will achieve more success w/ grow lights. I always get decent production from my tomato plants, but it could be better. I don't think building my own is an option at this point, so if the kits aren't so good I guess I'll order my tomato plants online. If you do recommend a kit, do I really need a heating mat? The room I plan to put it in is 75*. Thank you for your input, Lisa

Comments (7)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Yes it would work but whether it is a good deal I couldn't say. Are you sure that is a 4 foot one. By the tray under it it looks like a 2 foot one. T5 bulbs can be expensive to replace. I would look for one with T8 daylight bulbs. If you only plan on growing tomatoes 1- 4 foot fixture is sufficient.

Keep the light an inch above the plants when growing under lights.
    Don't forget you have to harden off plants grown inside to get them used to the UV light.

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. This is a 2 foot system and I have seen a four foot one as well. Yes, I will harden them off. In fact, when the days get warmer I would like to get them out for sun exposure and working it up to a few hours a day and finally all day. We have many days in April when it is 65-70 and sunny. Then I can put them back under the light for a few more hours--I hear about 16 hours of sunlight. Is that ok to do? I read that the sun's rays are most effective so if it is warm enough I can stick them out there (gradually ofcoarse). Where I live we have warm days but still pretty chilly nights so I take them back in. Again, I have grown seeds on my own before, but I think that my tomatoes will be more productive if I start them off with the light. Thank you for your help.

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

do I really need the heating mat for germination? I have germinated all seeds before without, but maybe there is a extra benefit to doing it with the mat...? I normally put them in the tub upstairs where it is humid and a bit warmer to germinate. Thanks again for all of your help!

• lisafrommaryland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

do I really need the heating mat for germination? I have germinated all seeds before without, but maybe there is a extra benefit to doing it with the mat...? I normally put them in the tub upstairs where it is humid and a bit warmer to germinate. Thanks again for all of your help!

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I don't use germination mats for tomatoes, but they do help me with peppers and eggplants.

You can do the same thing with a shelving unit, 2 shelfs (1 for the light and 1 to hold the plants. 1-2 flourescent light fixture (depending upon how wide/number of bulbs in fixture, use daylight bulbs), and hooks and chains to mount the light, and be able to raise or lower the light fixture.

I don't use the dome tray, either, I've found that it builds too much moisture for my liking.

Can be purchased for less than $50, if you shop around. Plus everything can be used for other things, if decide NOT to continue (slight chance, once you're hooked, you'll never stop).

• PowerPointEnergy
    11 years ago

Anyone interested in used 350W metal halide high bay lights? They would be perfect for grow lights. Very reasonably priced.

email me.

timh@ppe-us.com

• markcogwell
    11 years ago

LED grow lights are all the rage now if you are interested in or already growing plants indoors. Now a days there are so many growing light companies which provide us different kits which you have never seen before. Here these kits are really amazing.