Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heater recommendation

Posted by johndoug z6 Philly (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 11:30

hi,

i'm not too interested in bottom heat although i'm sure it is ideal as heat rises, and this heat is at the bottom.

i have enclosed shelves with fluorescent that i want to have a cheap heat source. i like the oil radiator heaters for their safety (not burning hot) and their efficiency, but they are way too big.

my enclosed area is 12 feet long by 2.5 feet wide. is there a small safe heater you recommend?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heater recommendation

I am using the back of my 4 tube 32 watt lay in fixtures for the seed shelf.
I have 5 shelves a tatal of app 600 watts of light/heat/energy.
In my fully insulated shed it is 70 degeees when the outside temp is 50 degrees. I have a oil filled heater which comes to assist if the flourescents cannot keep up.
Anyway, why waste the back of the fixture yes heat rises.

o
RE: heater recommendation

I personally prefer the heat mats for a couple of reasons. I can thermostatically control the heat mats. My heat-mat thermostats have sensor bulbs that I can place in seedling pots to avoid overheating.

Also, I can control the heating independently from my lighting. Most plants grow spindly if they are cold at night and warm in the day, because the "DIF" figure that represents the daytime temperature minus the nighttime temperature is fairly high. A DIF of zero or even a negative DIF produces more compact plants. I can put my heat mats on a separate timer to run them at night and even turn them off during the day.

I have some plants growing in a cool breezeway. There I can just plug the heat mats directly into the wall socket current to keep them on all the time, which keeps the plants from getting too cool at night. I couldn't do that if I were depending on the fluorescent fixtures for heat.

Of course, heat mats and heat mat thermostats are somewhat costly, and that can be a significant factor arguing against them.

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here