Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Trees Indoors

Posted by JHrusky WI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 11:47

Living in Wisconsin, it's impossible to grow tropical trees unless they are indoors 6 months a year so ...

I'd like to grow miniature Orange, Lime, Lemon, Pomegranate, Coffee, etc. trees in our home during the winter months and keep them in containers all year long.

I have been quite successful starting seeds that flourish under small 2' fluorescent lights (2 per fixture, one daylight and one regular to get the complete spectrum... T8 I believe is the number).

My question is, can I do this for trees as well and, if so, is there any free-standing lighting fixture I can buy for this application? I've been unable to locate something (not sure if they make the same type of bulbs in the 'regular' light bulb fashion to screw into a socket). My goal is to keep costs down, of course, as well as operation costs.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Trees Indoors

Yes you can, but you will need much more information to be successful. Check out the citrus forum and the fig forum. You will need info from both to be successful. The citrus forum is very active with a large core of experienced growers They can help you with all kinds of problems before they come with preventative care. They can guide you on what varieties grow best. Most citrus grow true from seed. Plus the seed are free after eating the fruit.

sweetlee tree #4, #3, #2; 2014, 1-14 photo sweetleetrees432A_zpsc725ac23.jpg
3 sweetlee tangerine tree from seed in front of the light box where they are grown in the basement.

Check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg101613462758.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here