Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini LED's - Colors

Posted by aclum (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 12:52

Hi,

I'm experimenting with a small mini-greenhouse used mainly for starting seedlings and I would like to try mini-LED's instead of fluorescent lights.

See:
http://www.actionlighting.com/items.asp?MainCategory=Bulbs&Sub=LED Specialty Bulbs

(the company also sells the appropriate sockets)

I was thinking that an array of the E27 Super Bright LED half-dome bulbs might work. These are available in several colors. Assuming that there's enough appropriate light from these bulbs, what color (or combination of colors and in what proportion) would be best to use at various stages of growth. (I'm planning on starting some vegetables in this arrangement that will be transplanted into a regular bed as well as raising some smaller vegetables - lettuce, etc - that will remain under this set-up until harvest).

Could I start out with blue lights entirely then gradually add some red bulbs?

Thanks!
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini LED's - Colors

Not a clue. How much light do they put out? What wavelengths? I don't even know what power each bulb is, need some technical data to even make a guess.

o

It doesn't look like the LEDs come even close to have enough light.

You typically will need hundreds of LEDs.

Also you will need LEDs which has very tight (focusing lenses) beam patterns to get as much light as possible.

Do a search on LEDs in this forum.

dcarch

o
RE: Mini LED's -

Ha! Got cha! S&B! Shame on you!

"Not a clue. How much light do they put out? "
Here is the clue: No heat sinks = not much light.
Also, the up & down LEDs are not good for growing.

(Only kidding, only kidding :-). S&B is the most knowledgeable guy here!)

dcarch :-)

o
RE: light

Ha! Got cha! S&B! Shame on you!

"Not a clue. How much light do they put out? "
Here is the clue: No heat sinks = not much light.
Also, the up & down LEDs are not good for growing.

(Only kidding, only kidding :-). S&B is the most knowledgeable guy here!)

dcarch :-)

o

Dcarch, you just had to post twice to rub it in, didn't you ;)

OK, I'll offer up a little useful information at least. Ignore everything you think you heard about "blue for growth, red for flowering", it doesn't apply to LEDs. It barely applies to other lights but that's a whole different story :)

o

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to find out from the supplier what the wattage of the bulbs are - but probably won't get an answer until after Monday. Here's my situation/dilema.....

I'd like to set up a mini-greenhouse using a child's wading pool and a large umbrella greenhouse to be used outdoors. See

http://www.homesteadhelpers.com/item.asp?b=1&n=GHUL

I was trying to figure out lighting for seed starting that wouldn't be too hot or too heavy.

Assuming that the LED's might be enough (which apparently they're not), I HAD (I guess naively) visualized a system with something like an overlarge pizza pan that could be fitted with the appropriate sockets and lights. The pan would have a central hole through which the central spike of the umbrella greenhouse would fit, and the whole thing could be raised and lowered and fixed in a position with a set screw collar or some such thing. The umbrella greenhouse could be fitted with a "space blanket cozy" to reflect light and keep heat in. There could also be a separate circuit with xmas lights to turn on to heat the structure on cold nights.

I'd just as soon use fluorescent - but it seems as though they'd be awfully heavy and I'm not sure how I would set it all up using off the shelf parts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anne

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 15:38

Anne, I'm confused. Is your umbrella greenhouse going to used indoors or out? If outside, I'd be worried about it getting way too hot and frying your plants unless you are constantly home to babysit them.

o

Hi Watergal,
I was planning to use it outside - similar to a cloche or hotcap out in the garden - but, in this case, used in conjuntion with a kid's wading pool. Thinking it over some more, I guess I may not even need lights . The large size umbrella greenhouse has side vents you can open, and one could drape a shade cloth over the top if it got too sunny for tender young plants (or new transplants). Once the plants got going, you might not need to use the umbrella greenhouse at all (or just in case of a sudden cold-snap or chilly nights). Although I probably don't need lights for growing, it might be nice to have a few xmas lights for warmth on occasion.
Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here