Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm confused....?

Posted by thear z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 13:25

Everything i read says to put the light a couple inches above the seedlings (for tomatoes). But if I do this it will block a good deal of the sunlight coming in through the windows. 12 to 18 inches won't block the light. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm confused....?

Try putting the lights BEHIND the plants. You'll have to mount them horizontally, but this way the plants will get the extra light without being shaded from the sun.

o

• Posted by kbug zone 7? (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 16:55

i would choose the artificial light over the sun light. you keep it just above the tomatoes. if you let them grow mainly with the window light they will grow towards the window and thus cause leggy plants. the object of putting the grow lights so close to the plant is to keep it from getting leggy. which is the whole point of using grow lights anyway right?

o

I have seen a post here about the amount of energy that is rec'd depending on how close the light is. And, as far as a laymen can tell, inches count, as in the prescribed few. Again, I save seen posts in here that the suns power far out-weighs that of lights.

Go fish.

o

Direct sunlight is many times stronger than your lights, so don't block it. Don't be too worried about blocking indirect natural light, especially indoors, because the fluorescents will be more intense if you can get them very close. Ideally, use an arrangement like jkirk describes. Or look for a good reflector system so you can mount the lights further away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here