Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
favorite_kitty

New indoor plants seem to be dying under lights.

favorite_kitty
10 years ago

Hello everyone :)

I bought my daughter a little indoor greenhouse from Ocean State to put her plants from Logee's in. I bought this light to keep in it for now. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-24-in-28-Watt-White-Grow-Light-GRW-2-14-CSW-CO-M4/202745704

She was upset this morning because she said that most of her plants seem to be dying in it now. They have been in there for almost two weeks, if I were to guess. Before that we had the plants for about another week or so in our windows since we bought them. I will attach photos of how we have it set up right now and hopefully you can tell us what we might be doing wrong.

The top of some of the leaves closest to the light are either curling as they develop, or falling off. Her vigna Caracalla was doing really great until we put it in the greenhouse. Most of the leaves on the longest vine fell off since being put in there. I told her that they may do this because they were used to being grown in a real greenhouse at Logee's, to our windowsills, to a tiny greenhouse now. They need to be in some place for a while to grow to those conditions.

She has a decaiseneana passionflower in there that she thinks is dying because the tendril closest to the soil turned brown and is dead. They must die eventually, right? Do they all stay happy and green?

The top leaves on the powder puff plant and the turunji citrus are curling. Isn't that a sign of too much light? How close should plants be from this type of light? You can find seedling under lights info, but we are having a hard time finding info on flowering plants. The newer leaves also seem to be yellow mottled, but you really have to look at them. She spends WAY too much time with her plants :)

Ohhh, and my vanilla orchid is very angry! The leaves keep turning yellow and falling off. I have had it everywhere in this house and it hasn't seemed to be happy anywhere. You can see it in the front of the photos with a yellow leave :( I thought it would be happiest in the greenhouse. We close the greenhouse at night, shut off the light, and then usually keep it open in the front during the day. The temp normally stays between 65-70 degrees, and the humidity is usually 60-70%. What do you guys have for an off/on schedule? Does it matter? My daughter asked because the powder puff leaves will close up at night even though the light is still on, yet it is dark outside.

If we have plants in here that you think would be happiest in a sunny window, please let us know. Or, in a different set up. This is what we have in there.
vigna Caracalla
turunji citrus
powder puff
passionflower
Austrailian sarsaparilla
yellow dutchman's pipe
chenille plant
banana shrub
assorted cuttings and plants rooting

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews