Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonato

I give up ! I'm buying Grow Lights!!

stonato
19 years ago

I wos hoping to get some help once and for all on this topic. I've gotten to the point where I'm considering returning all my bulbs and springing for the 'grow lights'.

Over the last couple weeks, many of you have been incredibly helpful in assisting me with my first grow light set-up...however, as you can imagine I've received alot of conflicting information regarding best types of lights. I'm hoping to gain some clarity.

Basically I have a 4 bulb fixture and six bulbs to chose from. Two 40 watt Philips Daylight Deluxe (6500K @ 2300 lumens) Two 40 watt Philips Warm (3000K @ 3300 lumens) and Two 40 watt Sylvania Design 50 (5000K @ 2300 lumes).

I'm growing mostly hot peppers and tomatos with a few flowers. Out of these 6 bulbs, which 4 would you chose?

Thank you to anybody who can put this to rest...so I can sleep at night knowing my babies are well.

Stonato~

Comments (10)

• hydrangea2
    19 years ago

Hi:

I was at Canada Blooms today and spoke to the gentleman from Floralights. I asked him if the Philips Sunshine at 5000k full spectrums were good and he said yes and this was a man who of course wanted to sell me his floralight ones. THese are about $9 at HD. Light blue package.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

I used to grow under Daylight deluxe and cool white. Worked well enough, but would probably work better for your application than mine(terrarium vs. seed starting).

Sam

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

You probably know my opinion already :)

For seedlings, any combination of those bulbs would be OK. I've grown under just warm whites, just daylights (regular triphosphor daylights, nothing fancy), and under a mix. I couldn't tell the difference.

• amypepsi2
    19 years ago

I use Plant Aquarium lights. Most Home improvement & Garden centers have these lights around the time it is time to start the Seeds.

• groman
    19 years ago

Hi don't throw your money away buy cheaper bulbs they work as good as grow lites and if you are only growing seedlings and not planing on fully maturing your plants,cool white or any of the others are fine just keepum close and watch for burning and most important be able to move lights easily, up and down without accidents.If you are shooting for full grown plants then by all means use High Pressure Sodium(4'x4'-5'x5'sq' area $100.00 to 175.00 400watt)this is high but it will do the job and if you are indoors and heat is a problem I have devised a method which uses hurricane chimney with a fan attached to force the heat generated from the bulb out of the grow room and also let's you get the light closer.Interested in this venture let me know and I will teach how to's.

• stonato
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm stressing too much. Will stick with 2 cool and 2 warm.

Stonato~

• dutch_sk
    19 years ago

just read about a new bulb
    agrosun MH
    supose to be the only bulb you need
    for growing or blooming
    any one with expierence on this one

• jwmeyer
    19 years ago

Dutch, go here before you buy....

Here is a link that might be useful: CMH

• groman
    19 years ago

Check this

Here is a link that might be useful: LED Grow Lights

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

I've found that for the most part, plants under grow lights need more light than you think they do.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz