Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyapollo

24hr a day light on seedlings. Now what???

johnnyapollo
16 years ago

I read somewhere on here that 24hr/day light was a good thing on seedlings so...thats what I did - (thought it might be easier to not deal with a timer). About a month and a half ago I started my seedlings - tomatoes, peppers, herbs, artichokes and some hummingbird type flowers. All are under a double 4' t8 flourescent light fixture 24hr/day with a fan on slow speed 12hr./day. (Choose t8's cause they are so effiecient/cheap.) Everything is growing great! Nice thick stems. Unlike last year, no leggy plants this time. I have the plants arranged according to heighth so the light fixture is actually angled as to maintain an approximate 3-4" heighth above the tops of the plants. (So...basically the tall plants are on one end and the shorter plants are on the other end and the light is hanging crookedly over them...)

I'm about one month+ before I can consider planting. I read that one way to harden them off is to put the plants outside under a "laundry basket" for a week before planting them. Right now I have the wind part covered with the fan on them. Its the sun that is my question. I'm going from 24hr/day artificial light to 14+(?) hrs/day sunlight.

My question is this: How do the plants react to this change??? In years past I always bought starter veggie plants. Last year I did some indoors - 16 hr/day timer w/ no fan. Should I slowly reduce the light hours?

Comment (1)