Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomthebomb_gw

Sunlight or Artificial?

tomthebomb
19 years ago

I am sure this is an old hot topic, but I searched the threads and didn't see what I was looking for. I grow only chile peppers and I grow them on the balcony. This year I started them a bit earlier than last year( Feb. 25th) as our growing season is a bit short for chiles. They have nearly all sprouted and sit in a sunny (when it is not cloudy-lol) south facing window, and they are starting to get a bit leggy. I am tempted to make a mini grow house indoors with a 3' 2x58W cool white fluorescent workshop light inside an old cupboard. I would add some reflective foil on the inside and a computer fan to circulate the air. Will this be a benefit? Or am I wasting my time and should I let mother nature do her job in the window? I am a bit confused after reading about the myths of grow lights as to whether a sunny window or some fluorescents is the better way to go. Any help would be appreciated!

Tom

Comments (8)

• tomthebomb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry, forgot to mention:

I will put the plants outside to mature and fruit in mid to late May. The grow box would only be a supplemental light and heat source until our temps get high enough for the outdoors.

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

hi, if you have a spare cupboard
    avail. fine but its not needed.
    if thyey are getting leggy get the
    light closer and train them down with ties.
    i really bush my peppers out before going
    outside.
    and give the plant a solid foundation for
    planting outdoors. As for buying shoplights,
    i suggest 4ft bulbs as far as value goes,
    plus you'll be able to fit at least 6-12
    pots under (2) 40watt tubes in an
    open space. (plants stay within 1-4 inches from bulbs of course.)

My first flouro setup was
    1 (3bulb) 4ft40watt cw tube fixture mounted below a shelf which was there already and i just used things to keep the pots close to the lamps rather than bring the lamps down on an expensive adjustable hood. This works just as good if not better, just be sure to keep a very nice breeze on your plants whether it be an oscilating fan or an open window with a good natural breeze (if not too chilly)

hope this helps

btw: radiant heat from the bulbs in an enclosed box will not help but hinder your chiles progress by possibly burning them and causing environmental imbalances within the confined space. Only way to counter this is an open box or air exchange/exhaust system (not worth the hassle)

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

" I grow only chile peppers and I grow them on the balcony. This year I started them a bit earlier than last year( Feb. 25th) as our growing season is a bit short for chiles. They have nearly all sprouted and sit in a sunny (when it is not cloudy-lol) south facing window, and they are starting to get a bit leggy"

Peppers like heat. They also don't do all that well in shade.

You can deal with the leggyness by using a small fan to give the seedlings a little exercise.

You could also get a fluorescent setup and put it behind the plants to supplement the light they get and a little extra heat.

The previous poster is right about air circulation. Enclosed grow boxes are touchy, although there ARE people who know the ins and outs of them.

• tomthebomb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok, thanks for the replies. I have had good results in the past with mother nature and so I will continue with them in the natural light. Happy Easter!
    Tom

• lifestarter
    19 years ago

Happy Easter to you as well Tom.

• watergal
    19 years ago

You can always supplement the window with a shop light or two. I have a west window that the grow lights are in front of. On sunny days, they benefit from the bright light. On cloudy days or early/late in the day, they benefit from the artificial lights. It's a win/win situation, unless your lights are in a place where they shade the plants from the sun too much.

• silver_butterfly
    16 years ago

I'm having an issue with the Florida climate (tampa area).

It gets windy, which I'm sure is good, but the bigger leaves die every time when that happens, and the rain drowns them right after they've healed from the last drowning.

I was considering keeping them on my screened lanai, but the sunlight there is about 10% what it is in the front.

Since I'm in a townhome neighborhood, the local children commonly attempt to water/mess with the peppers, making it difficult to grow. Many times I've gone out there to wonder "I know I didn't just water it, but it looked dry before" in a location out of reach from the sprinklers. The lanai is the best option.

My issue is that I don't want to pay $200 for a light. I know there are other UV lights, but does anyone know the best option for plants to get light without having to buy a $200 light from the garden center? or is there little choice? I'm just having difficulties finding this info. (ie- is a regular UV light as effective as a hydroponics-specific UV light)...lol

Ok, thanks ^_^

• watergal
    16 years ago

UV = ultraviolet light. Not what you want for growing. Peppers want so much sun that you're going to have trouble growing them to maturity under grow lights unless you buy very large, very expensive grow lights, and they shouldn't be in a location where they could get rained on (not sure how rainproof your lanai is).

Go with the natural sunlight and figure out a way to deal with the neighborhood kids. (Dog? Fence? Windowbox? Balcony? Become the evil neighbor lady who yells at the kids for messing with her plants? Not sure there is a great solution.)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor