Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelo_s

tek t5 system plant grow lights

angelo_s
19 years ago

I was thinking of purchasing this system for my paludarium It's 60x18x26 and is densely planted above and below the water. has anyone ever used these lights. I was intrested in the 48" long with 4 lights 2 3000 kelvin and 2 6500 kelvin the lumen per watt rating: 5000 lumens per lamp÷ 54 watts=92.59 lumens/watt.. I need info on the lights if there ok for a paludarium and also if the lights give off uvb uva output for my reptiles vitamin D synthsis

here is a link for the lights

http://www.specialty-lights.com/960100.html

I also was wondering if a Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium grow lights in one fixture is a better way to go or is it too powerfull

Comments (5)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Buy the Tek if you have to have the sleakest shiniest lamp with the best name. You can buy exactly the same bulbs for half the price. You can buy a 400W metal halide lamp for the same money. Or you can get very similar T5 grow lamps for a little over half the price, or utility fittings for even less.

Also remember that one reason for the high lumens number is that these lamps pack a lot of green light. In plant terms they don't score so highly, comparable to other efficient fluorescents.

I don't know if 220W is enough for your tank. It sounds enough but its not my area. If you did want to use HID then you might have trouble spreading the light evenly.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Forgot to mention UV.

The fluorescent tubes produce very little UV. You can purchase lizard fluorescents, but I don't know if they would be compatible with that fixture.

Metal halide lamps produce quite a lot of UVA and a little UVB. I don't know if it is sufficient.

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Were can I get the t5 at half the price?
    I do want the fixture to look sleek because it would be suspended from my celing in my living room. Also the light graph shows high peeks only in the blue spectrum for the 6500k bulbs though I'm no expert.

• turbo_garden
    18 years ago

i have t5 lights and they do grow houseplants under them very well i can usually notice some new growth every day
    there are a variety of lamps i only have 3500k and 6500k i know you can get 4100k . all are 54 watt fixtures there are also 80 watt fixtures that are 58 inches long (t5)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Angelo, look up the T5 bulbs supplied under their own name by manufacturers like Sylvania and GE. I think Sylvania's name for them is Pentron. Depending on quantity, you'll be able to get them for well under $10.

The spectrum of all this type of bulb consists primarily of three peaks in the blue, green, and red. It is the relative size of these peaks that determines the overall colour balance. The 6500K bulb has a relatively larger blue peak than the 3500K bulb and so appears blue-white instead of orange-white. The 3500K tubes probably don't have quite enough blue for ideal plant growth, 4100K tubes probably do, 6500K probably have more than enough which may mean that they have less red light than optimal. Use 4100K tubes if you can get them, or a mix of 3500K and 6500K, or even just one colour if that's all you can get, the difference won't be huge.

Turbo_garden, I don't think anyone would dispute that plants will grow well under T5's, after all they are fundamentally no different from other modern fluorescent tubes. The only question really is whether they are the best solution in this case, when compared to HID lamps or even high output T8s. I have serious doubts about the cost-effectiveness of T5 tubes that I have tried to explore in other posts.