Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato yields indoors with LED

Posted by Ken_in_Michigan MI (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:27

Hello,

Im curious if anyone has experience that could advise what potential yields would be.

Assuming 5-7 gallon pots of good organic soil full of nutrients. Large plants. More than adequate light. Each plant having a 2'x2' space.

We'd be growing a variety of heirlooms, some would be heavier yielders than others. We've got seeds starting now. Any ideas what you would think is possible? Would 50 lbs off a big plant in 4 sq ft be unrealistic?

thanks.
Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato yields indoors with LED

You may have better luck with tomatoes with a hydroponic system, like a deep water culture system. That way you can control the hydroponic nutrients for your plant. When the plant depletes the nutrients in your soil pots, they will need to be fertilized.

There is a guy on YouTube who plants tomatoes all year long using hydroponics, named MHPGardener. He is in a green house and you are indoors, so I would imagine that if you had a good light system you should get similar results.

o
RE: tomato yields indoors with LED

Thanks for the response. I've grown hydroponically for years but we're really looking to push quality. If the soil mix didn't feed the plants thru harvest it would come pretty close. Supplemental feedings would be given as needed.

Im sure we'll do some hydro testing, it would be hard to beat the yields in soil. Paying the bills is important but growing quality and tasty organic food for our families and communities is more important.

We've started a tester garden in my basement so we'll have more info in 70 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here